What would you do?

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Go auto! I went auto when I got my 15 and am so happy. I can put it in D and just let the car figure shit out.

46addict

Reaction score
Sure is a perty trans, damnit I'm so conflicted!!

So there is a device that splits off and moves the arm for you in the trans? I find that pretty interesting but I can't picture it working.

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing but the arm that moves is the clutch quadrant which is controlled by the clutch pedal & cable. ArtQ posted a picture of a quadrant in his post. The system uses a return spring instead of fluid pressure from the slave cylinder. All linkages and pivot points are mechanical.

This site explains it better.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/when-fact-meets-friction-the-basics-of-clutch-operation.html

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Freddy Brown 4R70 - on Long Island

/

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
But how do I come out to my family!?
You don't need to after getting an auto. I had to spell it out to my family that I am still into women, but mostly butt stuff now as a segue to slapping balls.
You'll have a harder time telling your esthetician when she's waxing your eyebrows, armpits and asscrack.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tiger! much appreciated, I am truly a noob when it comes to automagics.
I'll give all this some more thought and research when I get home tonight.
I do appreciate the direction, sir! xoxo

Hey buddy all of us were at one time (Noobs) to the car thing.

I go way back to the mid 1960's but I still don't have a clue about some aspects of building engines, transmissions and certainly no working knowledge of tuning with the modern electronics.

I simply know in general about those things and then when it's time to actually do something I go to the people that do it for a living.

Maybe I should add the following comment to you.
What generally separates guys with what they end up with on their cars is ... "Money" !!!

Older guys like me that chose not to have children and married a professional working spouse have the $$$$$$$ to do whatever.
I'm honestly in the very-very-small percentage of guys that can do whatever it is they dream up within reason money wise.

The much greater majority of guys have to limit what they want and what they get to their Budget.

I'm mentioning the above to you to simply say, if you have the money and want a really consistent Mustang at the /drag-Strip with less Mechanical-Nightmares go with an Automatic.

If you can do that with a Professional Performance Shop !!!

But how do I come out to my family!?

Just saying this as a guy that had a sister and brothers as well as a mom and dad.

If they are footing the BILL then they can have a say so .............

If on the other hand they aren't paying the Greater-Majority of the Cost then their Opinions are to me just exactly that, opinions.

Terry

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
By full manual reverse do you mean that it would go 1,2,3,4 instead of 4,3,2,1 like in regular cars? trying to learn the auto lingo.

Yes. Well close. It would go 1, 2, 3 and you push a button for O/D. Right now only one company has this configuration of valvebody for the 4R70W. Silver Fox. He knows his shit.

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Hmm interesting, damnit I'm all over the place now lol.
I just got off the phone with Liberty and they don't faceplate the tr3650. ugh!
So I guess I will pop in my spare one and rebuild my current one with a kit and keep it to the side for now while I figure out what I am going to do with the trans, t56 magnum or 6060 is looking like a solution, 6060 more so because I don't want to drop 5k on a new trans setup.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
4R70, pussy. You should buy a fun daily so that your race car can be a race car.

46addict

Reaction score
Who says a 4R70 car can't be daily driven?

I'm still with the 6060 bandwagon though. What are your power goals?

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, so...

I have T56s in two cars, TR6060 in a third, T56 Magnum in a fourth, and I went through two TR6060s in the old 3V. I've been through more transmission combos than most people go through exhausts, and I like to think I have some experience with these things.

To be honest, I'd go with another T56 Magnum for a Mustang. The TR6060 is a cost efficient alternative to the T56 Magnum, but the latter just feels better. I do have one TR6060 in the attic that I'll probably have built if the T56 Magnum ever grenades, and then one of the T56 cars will also get a TR6060 once the boost goes up.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
4R70, pussy. You should buy a fun daily so that your race car can be a race car.
I've had daily drivers all these years, I just bought a 2016 civic you know because vtak! so the Mustang is become more weekend/drag and less joy ride/street. Still needs to be driven to the track and back home how I likes it. I used to drive it to work when I worked closer to home just to drive it kind of made it a daily for a bit there because I couldn't get enough of it.

Who says a 4R70 car can't be daily driven?
If
I'm still with the 6060 bandwagon though. What are your power goals?
No power goals at the moment, I am staying NA I love the reliability and it's so much fun to run. If I ever want to get super fast I will just do what I've been thinking of all these years and build a turbo notch :clap:

Okay, so...

I have T56s in two cars, TR6060 in a third, T56 Magnum in a fourth, and I went through two TR6060s in the old 3V. I've been through more transmission combos than most people go through exhausts, and I like to think I have some experience with these things.

To be honest, I'd go with another T56 Magnum for a Mustang. The TR6060 is a cost efficient alternative to the T56 Magnum, but the latter just feels better. I do have one TR6060 in the attic that I'll probably have built if the T56 Magnum ever grenades, and then one of the T56 cars will also get a TR6060 once the boost goes up.

Thanks for the info man!, let me PM you my address so you know where to send your donation! The t56 is very tempting, but not sure if it's worth it in my particular car or rather, my car is not really worthy of it.
A 6060 would probably suit me very well if I find a nice deal I'd probably go for it. That MGW shifter for the 6060 looks real sexy too.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
In that case, get a later model year TR6060. The 07-09 (maybe '10 as well) had issues.

And yes on the MGW. George is the man.

rjyote

forum member
Reaction score
Cable shifted!? yea pics don't help I don't see how that works? wtf is that LOL.

The cable is controlled by the clutch pedal and is connected to the clutch fork at the other end. The other end of the fork is attached to a pivot stud and in the middle of the fork is where the clutch release bearing is. Very simple setup. This is how all Fox and SN95 manuals are shifted. The real drawback to this type of setup is that if you switch to a pressure plate with stronger release springs, the pedal effort goes up due to no hydraulic assist.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I must have read that wrong, I took "cable shifted" literally.
Like shifting with a CABLE from 1-2, 3-4 etc... I drove a few cars with a cable operated throwout bearing, horrible.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Gentlemen.. an update.
I have decided I will be going with a reman. tr6060.
Maybe I will buy it next month but that will be the path my friend.
I figured with the cost of the gender reassignment surgery factored into the auto would be too much. :roflmao:
I've heard good things about the tr6060 and the t56 is a bit much but it's awesome.
Don't think I will have any trouble, I may need to go down to 4.56 gears buy beyond that the little baby 4.6 should be comfty in the 11's without changing my fuckin transmission every year.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back