03/04 short block

Slick4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Hi all new to the forum. I'll jump right to it.

Owned an s197 a while now finally boosted it a couple years ago and now have the itch for more.
I have the opportunity to purchase a 03/04 cobra shortblock for a very good deal and was wondering if this will work with our 3v heads(ptv clearance) or if there is anything else I'll need beside mount adapters if it will.

Thanks

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Pistons may not have clearance. Most pistons need the 3v reliefs cut into them.
Not sure how much our heads will change it. But iirc the 03-04 Cobra had like 8.5 compression ratio. Pretty low for most cars these days

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Red, how is your build going? Is your machine shop cutting the mustard?

Slick4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Ok cool, gunna be running the stock cams. Keeping it on pump gas gunna shoot to keep it around 600rwhp so I guess he lower comp will help detonation right? Currently running a comp 67 turbo so gunna get the short block in and crank that sucker up.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Lower compression helps because you can add more boost before it detonates on the same fuel.

However lower compression will perform worse without boost

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
If you run limiters, it won't matter what pattern is in the piston (assuming cams aren't stupid lift). Terminator short block is pretty decent but also iron. The car is going to be a bit of a dog out of boost and under 5 psi or so.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I'm running a 326 stroker that was built originally for a Terminator with the pistons cut with reliefs for 4-valve heads. Nobody would "fly cut" a relief for my 3-valves heads. So it was cheaper and easier to ordered 3-valve pianos from Manley. A shop did the build for me but it all seemed to match up well. It's called "modular" for a reason I guess. LOL

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back