6R80 in my 05

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
Any info on this swap yet?

I spoke to the guys that make the controller you are using for your 4R70W about a year ago and they claimed to be working on a solution. I also read something from either an x or current engineer (don't remember) who claimed it won't likely happen as it apparently uses many more parameters to control it than the 4R70W. I would love to use the 6 speed auto but I just don't see it happening soon if at all.

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
I was just gunna ask that. Would it be worth it to go with an auto from an 06 gt over a 4r70w? The shop that tunes my car just installed a 6060 and they have the stock auto with all the wiring they will sell me cheap.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What are your HP plans? The stock auto is only good to about 500-550 rwhp even when it has all the good stuff added. Even at those levels it's just a ticking time bomb, as it will fail, it's just a matter of when. I wouldn't spend money transitioning to the 5R unless you don't plan to make high HP.

Earl

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
Yea I'm making 700 rwhp, Il be turning it up to once I get a built tranny I'm running my stock 5 speed and 3rd gear is goin out.

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
I don't no much when it comes to automatic this is my first time doin something like this, so I got a lot of research to do. So what has you goin with this trans over the 4r70w or th400? Almost all the guys iv asked on here have pointed me towards the 4r70w

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
this is the trans in the 11+, it's proven to be a very good set up for drag racing and running with upgrades into the 8s. Works with the factory PCM.

It's a 6 speed so a deep OD for the highway as well.

For a pre-11 car, the 4r70w is a good choice IMO

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
05 stroker u running a manuel valve body? How do u like it on the street?

AVB and love it at the track and street driving. I just want more gears for those high speed pulls and mile events and don't want to go higher in the rear.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't no much when it comes to automatic this is my first time doin something like this, so I got a lot of research to do. So what has you goin with this trans over the 4r70w or th400? Almost all the guys iv asked on here have pointed me towards the 4r70w

I don't want to spend more money on a trans that may fail. This trans is much stronger than the 4R70W setup. It's basically a TH400 with overdrive, so it's pretty bullet proof. You can get it fully automatic with a TB. The company's that make the built 4R70's don't recommend the automatic VB with big power and I don't want a manual VB for normal street driving. I know 05Stroker is running an automatic VB but I don't know of many others. I hope it's just academic and my 5R holds up, as I don't beat on it badly.

TCI also is making a 6 speed setup that looks nice but I don't really trust TCI. If my trans goes out and it really comes down to getting something, then I will have to make the decision on which way to go.

Earl

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
Right on man that's what I want a avb with a trans brake, my cars 50/50 street strip. Right now I'm having a hard time getting into 3rd so I'm about ready to step it up to the auto

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Right on man that's what I want a avb with a trans brake, my cars 50/50 street strip. Right now I'm having a hard time getting into 3rd so I'm about ready to step it up to the auto
You can have a avb with tb but only with a non lockup convertor. You can have any two you want but not all three. That is what Len at Lentech told me.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's a 6 speed so a deep OD for the highway as well.

That's not correct.

The 4R has a 0.70 overdrive. The 6R has two overdrives. 0.86 & 0.69. The final overdrive is, for all intents and purposes, the same.

The real benefit of the 6R are the taller ratios in 1st-4th. They allow the numericly lower axle ratio to be combined trans ratio to make a given gears total ratio be higher and still drop rpms to the desired level with the overdrive.

Last edited:

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
Lot of good info. I'm stuck between goin with an auto/manuel valve body. I do want to run a trans brake, I'm just trying to learn how a torque converter works and what would work best for my setup, like I said in new with automatics

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you are 50/50 street you will want the lockup torque converter. A non lockup TC builds up lots of heat during normal street driving. This is the main reason I am looking at alternatives to the 4R. I also want an automatic VB, lockup capabilities and a TB, that's not going to happen with the 4R. I would give up the TB before I gave up the lockup TC.

Earl

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back