Hot Rod Cam Install Questions

LCPLPunk

Legend Lime GT Owner!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have Hot Rod cams on the way, and I've looked at tons of threads, videos, etc, but I still have a question or two.

I've watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVlS9-C02Q0&list=UL&feature=player_embedded and it seems simple enough, I just wonder about the part at 2:44 where he says to not take the pressure off of the roller followers. From what he's doing it looks like he just removes those parts and all is good, but I've heard from others this isn't the preferred method.

Now, how does he get those back on if the cam is pushing back? Maybe little by little?

Also, the video never mentions turning the crank pulley to 12 o'clock, but it doesn't look like the installer has any problems getting the cam into place and bolted down. From what I remember doing turning it to 12 o'clock puts the least pressure on the roller followers when you remove them, but if you aren't removing them then...what's the point?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Some guys have used the Freedom Racing tools successfully. I had them here when I did mine and eventually gave up trying to use them. Total pain in the ass, easier to just roll the cam a little and pop the follower into place with a screwdriver. Not enough room to get the tool into place and depress the valve effectively. You need to adjust the depth but you need to remove it from the head to adjust it and reinstall it to check it. And each time you spend 5 minutes trying to fight it into position because it doesn't fit.

And the video from Freedom Racing doesn't show shit, pretty much a before and after with the idiot saying how easy it was to use the tool.

deathwishracer

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't use it on any of the installs I've done. Just pop them out/in with screw driver. Worked for me. Just be careful, take ur time

LCPLPunk

Legend Lime GT Owner!
Reaction score
Well in the video I posted it looks like the guy unbolts the four things holding the cam on and then just takes them off using some large channel locks. I don't see him unbolting anything in that area other than the cam phaser bolt.

deathwishracer

forum member
Reaction score
You just want to get the highest point of pressure off the cam, then loosen the cam retainers a small amount at a time, and evenly. If you loosen them unevenly, you could damage the caps/cam

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
You just want to get the highest point of pressure off the cam, then loosen the cam retainers a small amount at a time, and evenly. If you loosen them unevenly, you could damage the caps/cam

This is how I did it also. The only tool I bought is the timing chain wedge tool. Just make sure you don't jam it in too hard, or else it might not come out in one piece.

FastDarkHorse

forum member
Reaction score
I did it the same as mentioned above. Mark everything! I marked the back of the cam phaser so it would make it easier to align with the cam. Take your time. I also used assembly lube on everything. Driven mine about 7000 miles with no issues. 63000 miles on the car now.
I'm slow so mine took 3 days, but I like to clean a lot as I go.
Just before the holidays I helped a friend and we did it in one long day. His daily driver so we were time restricted.

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
that doesn't look that hard to do at all, hell its got me thinking about it.

do you need to get a new tune right away or can it be driven a little to a tuner versus waiting on a canned tune?

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
that doesn't look that hard to do at all, hell its got me thinking about it.

do you need to get a new tune right away or can it be driven a little to a tuner versus waiting on a canned tune?

I had a canned tune so I didn't try starting it with the stock tune. Not sure if it's ok to do that or not.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I had a canned tune so I didn't try starting it with the stock tune. Not sure if it's ok to do that or not.

I started my sons car after the install and it ran and idled. I did not try to drive it though.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I didn't use any kind of tool when I did mine. I removed the phaser ran a bunch cord thru and hooked on to my fender to keep tension the chain. The MOST IMPORTANT THING is to not let the chain skip a tooth on the came phaser. I loosened the cam tower bolts a little on each one until cam had no pressure on it. There are many different ways to go about a cam swap. Just keep the chain and phaser in the same place, or you'll have start from scratch setting your cam timing which includes removing the front engine (or timing) cover........no fun there lol

You will need an inch pound torque wrench

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I used the roll of electrical tape and strap method as a wedge. And I also just walk all the bolts down slowly and remove them the same way without removing the followers.

mitch

HPDE Instructor
Reaction score
KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE PRIZE :)

fyi, mine were installed by the PO, since 2010, car runs like a champ! at 69k miles

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You want to loosen them a little at a time. If you remove them completely one at a time then when you get to the last one the cam will be pushed up and will break the last cam cap. You want to let the cam spring up evenly all the way across until you get the tension off it.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have Hot Rod cams on the way, and I've looked at tons of threads, videos, etc, but I still have a question or two.

I've watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVlS9-C02Q0&list=UL&feature=player_embedded and it seems simple enough, I just wonder about the part at 2:44 where he says to not take the pressure off of the roller followers. From what he's doing it looks like he just removes those parts and all is good, but I've heard from others this isn't the preferred method.

Now, how does he get those back on if the cam is pushing back? Maybe little by little?

Also, the video never mentions turning the crank pulley to 12 o'clock, but it doesn't look like the installer has any problems getting the cam into place and bolted down. From what I remember doing turning it to 12 o'clock puts the least pressure on the roller followers when you remove them, but if you aren't removing them then...what's the point?

If you are not removing the followers, turn the cam to the position that you would as if you removed them. This position only has those 3 followers applying pressure to the cam lobes. This will make it easier to install.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back