Hot Rod Cam Install Questions

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
If you are not removing the followers, turn the cam to the position that you would as if you removed them. This position only has those 3 followers applying pressure to the cam lobes. This will make it easier to install.
This the way I do it also. Pretty much follow the FRPP procedure but don't remove the followers or use the special tools.

G

grimmy33

Hello guys,

I've a pair a these cames delivered with my pony.
I hesitate to install them because of potential impact on gas emissions.
Does anyone have ane idea of the impact of these cams, regarding gas emissions regulations ?

Thanks

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Not that I know of but it depends on what state you live in. In California for example these cams are not CARB approved and have no E.O. number. You would be better served using the comp cams http://www.compcams.com/3valve/#NSR as they will give you a power increase without the lumpy idle that will tip off even the most novice smog tech. It really all depends on your state and WHO is doing your emissions testing.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
This is how I did it also. The only tool I bought is the timing chain wedge tool. Just make sure you don't jam it in too hard, or else it might not come out in one piece.

I'm with you. I do them with NO special tools though. Just get a friend to hold the cam chain when swapping phasers over. Done and done. Last time I did Hot Rods it took me longer to get the valve covers off than swap the cams out.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but had a question about positioning the crank as per frpp instructions.

I have an IW balancer and as far as I can remember it does not have a timing mark on it? Also it's dual keyed so can't compare to a stock balancer.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
You should be able to do it correctly without actual timing marks, you want the passenger side cam to look like this.

RHlobePosition.jpg

RHcamPosition1.jpg

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but had a question about positioning the crank as per frpp instructions.

I have an IW balancer and as far as I can remember it does not have a timing mark on it? Also it's dual keyed so can't compare to a stock balancer.

Are you trying to find #1 TDC?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I use a wooden rod in the spark plug hole. You really just need to watch the cam lobes and rotate till they are in a nutral position.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
When I did mine the cam turned after I took off the phaser because of the pressure from the followers on the lobes. I did some research and used a pair of channel lock pliers with a rag and grabbed the new one just behind where the phaser goes and turned it to line it up with the phaser key. A couple of small marks on the cam but in a place that doesn't matter. I about had a heart attack when that cam turned when I pulled the phaser off. I also had one follower that kept falling out when trying to install the new cam. Patience....a lot of patience.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
The cam can only fit in the sprocket one way right? There are notches or something to prevent them from being installed incorrectly?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Correct. There is a keyway in the cam and a notch that fits into it from phaser

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back