Swirls in paint!!!

06SN197

Livin. L-I-V-I-N
Reaction score
I'm not a detail guru at all. My skills are cemented to washing a car by hand, using tire shine, and occasionally waxing a vehicle. That being said, my car was painted black about 8 months back, and I then trailered it home only to find paint swirls all over the car! Not sure how to correct this issue or what products to use, and I don't have the experience to use any electrical tools. Suggestions?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My guess is it was buffed poorly. Take it to someone that knows what they are doing with a buffer and have it buffed out.

06SN197

Livin. L-I-V-I-N
Reaction score
Would I be able to this with some good ole elbow grease, if so what kind of materials am I looking at?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Probably not. There are a few guys here that really know their stuff. Maybe they will know a little more.

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
Check out autogeek online for products, tools and knowledge. A good DA polisher, MF towels and a good polish and or compound and wax or sealant to finish with. For swirls a light polish and med to light pad should do the trick. Then a wax or sealant over that to make it all nice. Check out some of the kits that include a polisher and products to get started with detaling. Not too much money to start but it can turn into yet another obsession.

06SN197

Livin. L-I-V-I-N
Reaction score
So this past Saturday I bought a cheap 6inch black and decker polisher, meguiar's #3 (some guy at work swore by this), and a liquid turtle wax. I practiced on a hood that recently was just removed from my car just incase I ruined anything. To my surprise It actually went well, and saw a significant improvement

Last edited:

06SN197

Livin. L-I-V-I-N
Reaction score
So this past Saturday I bought a cheap 6inch black and decker polisher, meguiar's #3 (some guy at work swore by this), and a liquid turtle wax. I practiced on a hood that recently was just removed from my car just incase I ruined anything. To my surprise It actually went well, and saw a significant improvement.

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
A dual action polisher is more forgiving on paint should you be practicing. A rotary will do the same work in less time but you can burn thru the paint quickly if not careful. Pad and product choice play a big part. Start a test section with the least amount of cut for both the pad and the product you are using. Then increase the cut if needed. Time and patience are a requirement when learning.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

06SN197

Livin. L-I-V-I-N
Reaction score
Figured since the rotary was cheaper that it would be easier on the paint. If I can recall the instructions they had it rated at 4400 rpm. What kind of rpm are the da polishers rated at?

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't touch my car with a rotary. I have heard too many horror stories. A good DA polisher is pretty much idiot proof. I personally use the trusted Porter Cable 7424. Before that, I actually used the el cheapo Harbor Fright Chinese knock off of the same DA, and it was actually pretty good for the price.

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
The one you have is most likely a rotary/ dual action. (Jiggly). B & December does not make a true DA or Rotary that I aware of. So the ability for it to cut and correct as require is probably very limited. But at the same time those can always burn the paint if not careful. A decent DA will start around $100 and work up from there. A rotary worth it's weight will start around $250 or so and again go up from there.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

TxGt1

forum member
Reaction score
Most likely the paint shop hit it with a rotary and a wool pad and called it a day. You will need to compound, polish and seal. Post some pics of the car so we can see the actual condition of the paint.

06SN197

Livin. L-I-V-I-N
Reaction score
I'll try and post some pictures this weekend when I get a chance to snap some shots of the car. It's the one in my signature, but you can't see much there

06SN197

Livin. L-I-V-I-N
Reaction score
So this is the best pic I could get that really shows the swirls, right where the sun spot is

Last edited:

TxGt1

forum member
Reaction score
I see you picked up a HF DA. Watch these videos to get familiar on how to use it. You will need to pick up some pads for the DA I wouldn't use the HF freight ones the're junk.

Mark your backing plate(Also info on pads and product in this link)

Meguiars Microfiber pads work really well with a DA. The Walmart by my house carried them. Pick some up with Meguiars Ultimate compound and Ultimate polish if you don't want to wait on ordering products.

06SN197

Livin. L-I-V-I-N
Reaction score
These are some dope videos, thanks man. Yeah, just bought that DA and excited as hell to use it. I looked up the meguiars microfiber pads and I definitely like what I'm reading and seeing (probably gonna get these sometime this week). Do y'all know if chemical guys have 6" pad in microfiber? Wouldn't mind trying those out either, but I can't seem to find any in the 6".

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I too have some light swirl marks that can only be see with direct sunlight at an angle. I tried using Meguairs Swirl X and their DA that attaches to a drill, using their yellow polishing pad I got zero results.

The paint color is cleaner and shines more for sure but after the wax I still saw the swirl marks.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back