Transmission Question

Legend_Jr

Reaction score
Somewhere down the line I'm goin to have a new engine built. Still not sure if I want to use the old trans or not. Would any of the transmissions from standard 05-09 GT and higher mustangs fit a 4.0L engine or would there be conversion kits?

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
There is an adapter plate by Action Adaption that is pretty much the only way you can bolt up the 3650 (or other V8 trans-6060, T56) to the 4.0.

What exactly do you mean by "have a new engine built"?

Legend_Jr

Reaction score
There is an adapter plate by Action Adaption that is pretty much the only way you can bolt up the 3650 (or other V8 trans-6060, T56) to the 4.0.

What exactly do you mean by "have a new engine built"?

I am going to have a NEW forged built V6 Motor made for my Mustang. when i can move back out to Cali and have this done, not too far off now, my Mustang will become a track and show car.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 2005 Mustang V6 with an Eaton blower on it, a TR6060 trans, 8.8 rear-end, and a whole bunch of suspension and brake upgrades.
Car looks good, goes good, and sounds great.
So anything's possible ...

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
I am going to have a NEW forged built V6 Motor made for my Mustang. when i can move back out to Cali and have this done, not too far off now, my Mustang will become a track and show car.

While I'm all for a cool build, is there a reason you don't pick up a 4.6 and drop it in? The block itself can't hold much over 450 whp for any extended period of time. Seems like a lot of money to spend to be limited to that power. A 3v swap is rather easy and cheap.

Legend_Jr

Reaction score
For two reasons: 1- I like the idea of making a badass V6 build because a lot of people want something that is already fast and do anything else to make it better. I like the idea of making something, not a lot of people like, into something that will turn heads when it is unveiled. 2- its just an idea im toying with. I may change my mind and drop a 4.6 in and supergcharge it.
for now im just getting details and information so i dont screw up a build. I may even do both. Who knows.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Well, if you haven't already done so, check out mustangcollective.com. You'll find some 'interesting and bad ass' 4.0 builds there.
Personally, I would NOT bother building a 4.0. I run a powerhouse turbo pushing 400 rwhp on stock v6 internals (only upgrade is the valve springs). Once you get around 425-450, you need the engine built; but the block won't do you much good beyond 500.

So, yes, a bad ass 4.0 can be done, and a few of us out there have one. (the transmisioin is a TR6060 with an engine adapter plate.)

If you supercharge a 4.6, you can get 450 +/- on the stock engine with a supercharger, and usually be safe within engine limits. Price-wise, you'll find it much easier and cost effective to go the 4.6 route for those power levels. I looked at building the 4.0 in my '05, but the cost, compared to building a 4.6, was not that different. Why build something where your power level is nearly topped-out already, instead of building room to add more power later?
But it depends on what you want to do. Just do you research and know what you're getting into and what it'll cost!

:beer:

Legend_Jr

Reaction score
One thing i've been unsure of is: if i do decide to swap to a bigger engine, would I have to do anything like register the swap somewhere so that it no longer is labeled as a V6? I'm still learning about hardcore modding like swaps and such which is why i ask.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
One thing i've been unsure of is: if i do decide to swap to a bigger engine, would I have to do anything like register the swap somewhere so that it no longer is labeled as a V6? I'm still learning about hardcore modding like swaps and such which is why i ask.

No. I don't even know if you could if you wanted to.

Legend_Jr

Reaction score
So if i did do a swap, would it cause any issues when i go thru emissions testing? Currently im indiana, but will be moving to Cali not too far from now

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
If you swap in a V8 and move to California you'll have to take it to a referee station to get it inspected. They'll make sure all the correct smog stuff is in place. Then you get a sticker or something showing the car is legal. I don't think they'll worry about the trans. Unless you go from an auto to manual I think. But then you should just have to show it was an option that year.

Legend_Jr

Reaction score
Well my trans is already manual lol only way to drive a Mustang, c'mon lol

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Drop in the 4.6, or if you want a real track car pickup a 5.0. There's such a small market for 4.0 mustang engines that most of your parts will need to be custom, which will be pricey. On top of that, what happens when some of these custom parts brake? More custom parts! If I were in your shoes, which I kinda am, I would buy a salvage GT from the same year as your mustang and do the swap. You get a better engine, driveshaft, rear end, brake components(front caliper bracket and rotors are the only important part), and the same amount of horsepower as if you dumped 4-5 thousand on Forced induction/Custom engine

PiggityPonyBoy

Reaction score
Ever thought of trying the 3.7 that came stock in the 2011 v6's? I honestly am on the same page as far as I don't want a v8 cause everybody has them, and I want to mod my v6 to where it can produce just as much, If not more than a v8.

I only ask this cause our 4.0's are already heavy being made of cast iron, and they make a measily 205-210 hp stock, while the 3.7 is made of aluminum making 315. Lighter with less displacement and makes more power. Doesn't seem like you can beat it IMO. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back