13-14 GT 500 clutch master cylinder install.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
After getting my car dyno tuned locally early this year(440 rwhp 396 rwt on a dynojet), my car refused to shift at high rpms. The dreaded 3650 lock out. Previously installed: poly motor mounts, che k-member brace with torque limiters, 1 piece aluminum driveshaft, gen 3 mgw shifter, mcleoud clutch line. Finally got around to installing the 2013-14 GT 500 clutch master cylinder that has been collecting dust for way too long.

Do youself a favor and remove the drivers seat(be careful with removal and reinstall, the seat brackets are sharp, and took two small chunks out of my sill plate).

Under the dash, you will have limited access to the 4 nuts, 2 bolts and various electrical connectors. Not fun, but do able with extensions and a u-joint socket.

Be ready to make a mess when you disconnect the the clutch master, have plenty of shop towels ready to go, also have a vacuum cap for the brake master cylinder nipple(I did not initally, and it made a huge mess). Also try not to lose the clutch line clip, you might need it later(I did).

With pedal assembly removed, swap out the clutch masters.

Removal took me about an hour. Clutch master swap, clutch pedal cover swap, losing the clutch line clip, fml!, a short break and re-install took about two hours.

Used my Motive vacuum bleeder to bleed the master. As always, I have the misfortune of the cap blowing off, spraying brake fluid everywhere and me going into oh shit mode trying to clean it all up asap. After extensive clean up.

Pumped the clutch pedal 20 times and took it for a test drive. During a quick 10 mile test drive the high rpm lockout condition was much improved. Also did a few standing starts and shifting at 6k and the car is fun to drive again!

Still need to put more miles on it and see how this mod plays out. Pics to come.

Last edited:

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
Just to confirm you have a 05-09 with a 3650 still? I had read about using this master cylinder but it seemed all that had made the switch already had 6060s.
I'd like to try this as well.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Pics for install post. Quick life hack for anyone doing this swap, tie a safety line to the clutch line clip! I had to use sewing thread, but fishing line would be ideal.
New clutch master comes with a new clip, i dropped mine during attempted install, luckily i had the one from the old cylinder, or i would have been shit out of luck.

Attachments

• 2pr9ypu.jpg
    2pr9ypu.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 114
  • r030ug.jpg
    r030ug.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 3yhhw.jpg
    3yhhw.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 2wgez2w.jpg
    2wgez2w.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 120
  • v3h92u.jpg
    v3h92u.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 101
  • fax60.jpg
    fax60.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 104

Reyes351

Reaction score
I've read about this before, do you recommend this for a mostly stock car?
Cars about to hit 90k miles and I get some inconsistent shifting going to second.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
If you have not done so already, I suggest draining trans fluid and refilling with 3.2 quarts of fresh. Clutch master swap is my last attempt to remedy high rpm lock out condition, have to put some miles on it, and see how this mod plays out.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
3 liters/3.2 quarts (?) of Dexron 3 non synthetic was great for my shifting. Just change every year or two.

'08 Bullitt. Even had Royal Purple, "death to blocker rings," fluid in there for a while until I learned.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Quick update....so far, so good. High rpm shifting is much better, car is fun to drive again.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
What is the difference with the GT500 master cylinder? interested as I've been dealing with my shitty 3650 and it's "NO I WONT SHIFT THERE" for years.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
I have read online that the GT500 master moves more fluid, but i do not know the specifics as to how or why. A couple of other members on this forum have done the swap and i decided to give it a try as a last ditch effort, as my car was not wanting to shift at high rpms. Pedal feel is about the same, but the engagement point is a little higher. Install was a bit of a p.i.t.a, but well worth it.

Gruca

World's Slowest 3v Owner
Reaction score
3 liters/3.2 quarts (?) of Dexron 3 non synthetic was great for my shifting. Just change every year or two.

'08 Bullitt. Even had Royal Purple, "death to blocker rings," fluid in there for a while until I learned.

I would love some elaboration on the Royal Purple comment. Mostly because when I changed out my clutch 4-5 months ago, I used Royal Purple....

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I would love some elaboration on the Royal Purple comment. Mostly because when I changed out my clutch 4-5 months ago, I used Royal Purple....

It's not recommended by Tremec. They only recommend ATF. RP ATF is fine but they haven't verified that anything else (non api certified atf or regular manual trans fluid) will not degrade or delaminate the syncros.

Bottom line is that the manufacturers usually know what's best for their products despite internet information to the contrary.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
What is the difference with the GT500 master cylinder? interested as I've been dealing with my shitty 3650 and it's "NO I WONT SHIFT THERE" for years.

I haven't had that problem so I'll knock on wood and hope I don't jinx myself. :D

jayhawk261

Reaction score
A couple of quick questions on this. I see people talking about this on 05-10 cars. I have an 11 GT with a leaky master cylinder that needs changed. Leaks directly on the dead pedal which makes for some exciting clutch work on the race track! I assume this would be a bolt in replacement upgrade for the 11 as well?

It looks like in the picture that the new part is plastic. Based on my reading, it seems like it was metal at some point? The 13-14 GT 500 clutch master seems significantly cheaper than the proper replacement as well.

Another question, does the pedal cage/assembly need to come out to swap, or does that just make access easier?

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Good information. I have a 2009 GT that is putting down similar power, and I have the OEM 3650 5-speed transmission that is problematic at high RPMs - shifting from 3rd to 4th gear. I purchased a 13-14 GT500 clutch master cylinder to see if this helps resolve the problem. Thanks for posting. Mike

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
Good information. I have a 2009 GT that is putting down similar power, and I have the OEM 3650 5-speed transmission that is problematic at high RPMs - shifting from 3rd to 4th gear. I purchased a 13-14 GT500 clutch master cylinder to see if this helps resolve the problem. Thanks for posting. Mike

Resolved this problem in mine completely, haven't missed a gear/been locked out since and it has been over a year.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Gray Ghost GT: If you have not already done so, I recommend installing a braided stainless steel clutch fluid line.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back