MT ET Street Radial Pros are not dot approved but qtp's are??

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that it's kind of crazy that Mickey Thompson ET Street radial pros are not DOT approved, but actual bias ply Hoosier quick time pros are DOT approved, I'd almost expect the opposite?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
The MT ET Street R series is DOT and street legal. The MT Pro series 275 and 315 15's are DOT but not street legal directly stated by MT tech support. Nothing Hoosier makes in the QTP DR's that comply with DOT are street legal by their own statement either. I have called and asked both places. Been down this rabbit hole many times trying to assure I am legal for True Street at NMRA, but apparently NMRA doesn;t look very close because plenty of guys were running QTP's and PRO series MT's at National Trail and Beach Bend last year.

I don't understand why a tire is DOT but then isn't compliant for street use unless there is a class of drag racing that required a DOT compliant tire that does not have to be street legal.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I believe they are DOT compliant by design, but "not for highway use" by lawyer.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ By the letter of the rule it appears you are right after reviewing the TS rules...again. I originally understood that to mean legal for street use, not just DOT compliant. Will keep that in mind as I shop for 15x8 setup to replace my 17" rear setup. Thanks

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
91a3ee1bcc153a16d8e01f3c33088810.jpg

I really don't see why my tires are DOT approved. They literally say "not for street use" on the side wall. Anyway, I still love them.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They have the absolute minimum tread depth to get the DOT stamp when brand new. Once you do your first burnout or a few street miles, they no longer have sufficient tread depth to be street legal.
The DOT stamp is all they look for in the few classes that require a "street" tire in my area, pretty sure that the NMRA go by that stamp as well.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
91a3ee1bcc153a16d8e01f3c33088810.jpg

I really don't see why my tires are DOT approved. They literally say "not for street use" on the side wall. Anyway, I still love them.
I run QTP's and love them too! They live on my car, and drive to, and from my track that is 100 miles away!!

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Have you tried them in the rain?
I have ran them in the rain, and they are pretty similar to any other drag radial that I've ran especially the ones that were worn out. Just use your head, and pull off the road if need be. If I'm actually taking a road trip aside from a trip to my race track I mentioned in an earlier post, I will put on my stock wheels / tires.

I imagine you have to up the pressures to street levels (28-30psi?) for these trips?

I actually do bump them up to around 35 to keep the heat out of the sidewalls on the interstate.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back