Ideas on wtf went wrong here?

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
But did you prime the lifters before they were installed and did you pressurize the oiling system prior to turning the motor over, even by hand?

I did prime the lifters befor assembly. As far as pressurizing the oil system honestly all I had done was spin the motor without the plugs, I was under the impression this was an acceptable means of priming these motors, I have a feeling I'm going to be told it's not now lol

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
What was the valve stem height after the heads were rebuilt, in spec?

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
What was the valve stem height after the heads were rebuilt, in spec?

Honestly I couldn't tell you, that's not something I even thought to ask.

Here's a couple more pictures I took today. Every exhaust valve on my driver side head is bent to toward the front of the car, the intake valves appear to be fine but won't be able to tell until completely disassembled.

Attachments

• IMG_0903.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Wrong pic in last post this is he better one just to show all the valves seem to be sitting as they should.

Unfortunately though there is one thing I didn't notice last time I was under the hood that I did notice today and that's one piston certainly had ptv contact. With the dim lighting and that piston being down in the bore I hadn't noticed till today. So my next question is, will this piston be ok to run or does it need to be replaced?

Attachments

• IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    492.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0902.jpg
    IMG_0902.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 20

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I believe you need to polish down the lip to make it nice and uniform, or else it becomes a hot spot that can cause ignition.

Id pull the piston to clean it up, and make sure the ring land didnt wind up pinched

now.......how the fuck did you wind up bending all 4 driver side exhaust stems forward, and all of them seeming to seat correctly.

the PTV looks like an intake valve not exhaust

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah it deffinitly was an intake valve you can kinda see where it hit in the picture of the chambers. Inside left chamber right side intake valve.

now.......how the fuck did you wind up bending all 4 driver side exhaust stems forward, and all of them seeming to seat correctly.

Damn, I was really hoping I didn't have to pull this thing back out. It's such a bitch doing all this work laying on cardboard. I need a lift.

That's exactly what I'm wondering man. How the fuck did this happen. Never seen anything like it before. The other head is even worse but only two exhaust valve stems are bent. I'll upload a pic of that soon.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
This is the other head

Attachments

• IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0907.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 11

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
yeah, i did engine swap in my garage with a borrowed engine hoist that didnt like to roll the direction i wanted.

Id hate pulling the motor again, but unless someone else chimes in saying the ring is more than likely un-touched, id hate to chance it and cause additional damage down the road. So as un-fun an answer it is.....Id probably want to pull it to check that piston. Honestly if you can get the pan off you might be able to get away just dropping the pan, undoing the rod bolts and pull just the piston alone, polish the dent down, and re-install still in the car.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
yeah, i did engine swap in my garage with a borrowed engine hoist that didnt like to roll the direction i wanted.

Id hate pulling the motor again, but unless someone else chimes in saying the ring is more than likely un-touched, id hate to chance it and cause additional damage down the road. So as un-fun an answer it is.....Id probably want to pull it to check that piston. Honestly if you can get the pan off you might be able to get away just dropping the pan, undoing the rod bolts and pull just the piston alone, polish the dent down, and re-install still in the car.

Yeah as much as it sucks you're most likely right. Summer is about over anyway so I might as well just take it apart again to get everything right.

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
I had PTV contact on an engine a long time ago, took the head off, got the valve replaced and guide repaired. 10,000 miles later that same piston rod spun the bearing............

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you are keeping the thread up and alive. Sending you motivational thoughts......I know that feeling. It is much easier to do things when you are excited about them. This....the opposite of exciting.

Have you talked to the shop that did the head work? Or take them to another shop and have them say yes, they fucked up? Just thinking of options to help the financal aspect.....wondering what the orginal shop will say.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
is this a timing issue or did the valves seize in the guides?

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Have you talked to the shop that did the head work? Or take them to another shop and have them say yes, they fucked up? Just thinking of options to help the financal aspect.....wondering what the orginal shop will say.

Appreciate the motivational thoughts, I think this car is gunna sit till next year when I'll actually feel motivated to get her up and going again. I spoke with the guy from the original shop on the phone, he's telling me I shouldn't have pumped up the lash adjusters prior to installation, that I should have made sure they were spongy and let the engine fill them up when i primed it and that's probably what caused them to bend. That's the oposite of what I thought am I wrong?

is this a timing issue or did the valves seize in the guides?

Timing was good, I checked before disassembly. I popped the springs off and all the valves moved freely.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
im pretty sure its common here to prime the adjusters before cranking over the motor.

I used a garden sprayer contraption to prime my engine before ever turning it over

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
if motor was timed correct and cam didn't require limiters I would suspect guide to valve stem clearance issues, or lack of assembly lube in guide. having difficulty imagining what would bend your valve stems other than PTV contact.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I spoke with the guy from the original shop on the phone, he's telling me I shouldn't have pumped up the lash adjusters prior to installation, that I should have made sure they were spongy and let the engine fill them up when i primed it and that's probably what caused them to bend..

Anybody want to take this? Sounds like BS to me. Call another known shop that knows mod motors and tell them that statement. See what they say.....Like getting a second opinion when you are sick.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Is all the damage on the engine limited to the side you lost the follower on?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
he has bent exhaust stems on both sides, all 4 on driver and 2 on passenger head

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Even if the chain was off a tooth. How would it bend only the stems, not the face of the valve, and no visible ptv contact beyond that one intake valve.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back