Forced induction or all motor build?

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Hey! I have a somewhat unique situation for my 2005 mustang. I'm
Building it for competitive drifting where a car has to be reliably taken to event after event being driven on the limiter for long periods of time so reliability is a must as around having 400+hp to be competitive. I'm curious which way to go with my 4.6 3v. Either forced induction or build the internals and high compression pistons. Both options will be tuned on 100 octane race fuel.

I can see pros and cons of both. Such as being all motor will run cooler than a roots super charger but if I blow an engine I could possibly take the super charger off and put it on another engine and re use it, or rebuild the super charger.

My build is seen here http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131193
Any advice I really appreciate!

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
A stock engine with a prochager and good tuning will provide everything you need and run on pump gas.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I would normally say N/A for a situation like this. Less moving parts and less heat. But if you go with a blower what about a centrifugal?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I would normally say N/A for a situation like this. Less moving parts and less heat. But if you go with a blower what about a centrifugal?

You can't reach his power goal N/A with a 3v engine. The blower I suggested is centrifugal though ;) lol

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
You can't reach his power goal N/A with a 3v engine. The blower I suggested is centrifugal though ;) lol
I wasn't sure since I'm not that versed in 3V stuff. A centri just makes more sense in this situation to me.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I def agree, RPM based power without the heat soak of a turbo or traditional "blower".

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
You can make enough power to shit a rod on pump gas with any power adder on a 3V.

What do you mean by that? No matter what I run fuel/power adder wise the rods are prone to fail unless I do the rods?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
What do you mean by that? No matter what I run fuel/power adder wise the rods are prone to fail unless I do the rods?
You have a 500 horsepower limit with a stock engine because of ring gap and the powdered metal rods.
So you can make up to about 500 WHP on pump gas safely with the stock engine and beat on it forever with just regular maintenance provided your tuning is sufficient.
Basically you will never require 100 octane at your power level.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
A stock engine with a procharger and good tuning will provide everything you need and run on pump gas.

Agree with the choice of centrifugal supercharger for forced induction but for long-term reliability, I'd perform the following engine upgrades:

Forged rods/pistons (stock 9.8:1 compression)
Billet oil pump gears (or GT500 pump)
Canton oil pan (higher capacity & better oil control for hard cornering)
Oil cooler

A NA 3v wouldn't allow you to reach your power goals (maximum 390rwhp from a 281, and 430rwhp from a 302 stroker).

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

you can with an all out build, high CR, cams, ported and polished heads, headers,etc
pretty sure at least 2 members have done it, thought I cannot find the threads after looking.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1408-400-hp-4-6l-three-valve-stroker-build/

I can't see this vid at work - but I suspect its a member here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_J7Ly4fWxY&feature=channel_page

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/mmfp-0812-livernois-motorsports-cylinder-head-upgrade/

stock rods are subject to failure around 450 whp and higher

A NA 3v wouldn't allow you to reach your power goals (maximum 390rwhp from a 281, and 430rwhp from a 302 stroker).

it can, but it's expensive and not cost effective vs adding a blower.

Evans - also consider upgrading the valve train.

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Coyote.
NA.

:)

Yeah another topic of my debate for sure. Most people have said the whole swap goes for about 8k+ for the engine, trans, parts, Ect. Definetly would be all about one of those though

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Probably a 6 or 6.2 liter LS should do the trick. Square port heads, carb intake, Holley terminator EFI. Have fun!

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Probably a 6 or 6.2 liter LS should do the trick. Square port heads, carb intake, Holley terminator EFI. Have fun!

latest

eGlW6cD1Fs96o.gif

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

Correct. The oem rods are pretzel sticks...they will eventually succumb to metal fatigue. For your drifting application, and sustained high rpm, and oem rods, don't take it much past 400 rwhp.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Swap in current Coyote rods if you are on a super tight budget. You can reuse everything else but it will need to be rebalanced. The Coyote rod is dimensionally the same and has proven durable to well over 600hp. So keeping things at around 500hp you would most likely be fine with a proper tune.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back