Broken spark plug in head procedure.

Bnbstang

Reaction score
Everyone do yourself a favor and so what the factory didn't. Pull your plugs and apply antiseize! If you do break a plug, DO NOT GET ANY OF THE OTHER KITS. You need the LISLE KIT. I spent a full. day farting around with loctite and the Lisle kit pulled it in 5 minutes. Number 8 waaaaay in the back on a F1ifty.

Bnbstang

Reaction score
Anytime you mix steel and aluminum you will have a seize problem. If you remember that you'll never have issues. I used amsoil powerfoam over night then the mighty PB BLASTER. worked like a champ, only lost one but was damn sure it had never been changed.

Cammed 05

Always happy
Reaction score
I'll repeat again. The tsb is worthless and everyone I have known to use it has broken plugs off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Not everyone.. I followed the tsb and none of my plugs broke at all, but then again they had less than 15k miles on them, but were still never the less the original OEM spark plugs installed in 2006 by Ford..

ha1234

Reaction score
Followed the TSB and was prepared for the worst. Even had the Lisle tool and watched a lot of YouTube on how to use it...never needed it! All 8 plugs came out without a problem.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Followed the TSB and was prepared for the worst. Even had the Lisle tool and watched a lot of YouTube on how to use it...never needed it! All 8 plugs came out without a problem.

Time to go buy a lottery ticket now!

wdavid531

Reaction score
Is this the tool people are still using for this job? The plug extraction TSB mentions a Rotunda tool, and I just saw a Lisle 65700 which comes with an extra piece and I don't know what that's for.

I just changed the plugs on my 06 and used the lisle tool and it pulled it out in a matter of minutes. It's a 2 step process. You thread it in on top of the broken plug then tighten the top piece to break up the porcelain and push the tip of the plug through the ground strap. Put the sleeve down into the plug hole and use the other threaded piece to thread into the top of the plug. Make sure it's in there as much as possible or the tip of the tool can break off and you're back to square 1. Then use nut and nylon washer to pull the plug out. They're both left hand threads.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
God damn ford ! First one... snap!!!!!... f this time for a Challenger
Just use the tool to remove it. It's not a big deal. Next time spray them with some PB Blaster and let it sit for a while before you try. The key is you just have to be gentle with them. It's a stupid design, but every car has their fucked up thing.

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
Just use the tool to remove it. It's not a big deal. Next time spray them with some PB Blaster and let it sit for a while before you try. The key is you just have to be gentle with them. It's a stupid design, but every car has their fucked up thing.

This....I let mine soak for like 8 hours and when I took them out I worked them back and forth. They squeaked but came out in one piece.

Plugs were original with 75k miles on them.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Mine had 100k and I soaked them the first six came out easy but I got in too big a hurry on the last two.
I had the Lisle tool and got the broken ones out easily.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I didnt use any spray and used a 30 inch breaker bar and only broke 1. I dont know if it was just luck or what but I like to believe the breaker bar helped.

Regardless, either take your time next time or buy 1 piece plugs and be done with it. Its a small price to pay for an all around good car imo.

thailand

forum member
Reaction score
4 of 8 broke for me. The Lisle tool is one of the best tools I have ever bought. The plugs broke in different ways, and it had a tool to extract each one. Two just broke in half, and two just had the hex come off.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Just replaced a full set of plugs on an 08' Explorer (4.6L 3v) with the "old style" heads... Used an impact gun to remove all 8 with no issues. I've done several sets this way and haven't broken a plug yet. I always do it when the engine is warm too. Just ease into the trigger until it starts to rotate... Then you are home free.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
I just replaced all 8 and none snapped. A couple of things helped me:

1. While the car is 12 yrs old, it has under 50K miles.
2. Filled the spark plug chamber with plenty of Deep Creep (DC)
3. I armed my self with patience and took it easy

BTW, the white foam end sticks I used to absorb any left over DC and to clean the spark plug area before removal.

3xlxegb.jpg

06GT-Red

Reaction score
I'd like to share my continuing spark plug saga - and maybe get a little help. I bought my 06 GT last August. It had 115,000 miles on it. I began changing the original plugs a couple days ago, basically following Ford TSB 08-7-6. All four on the passenger side came out as anticipated. Started on the driver's side and probably did not give the carb cleaner enough time to work. The front plug came out OK, the other three broke. Bought the Lisle 65700 kit since I needed to remove the tops of the broken plugs. The kit enabled me to remove the tops just fine. The stuck tips in the middle two also came out fine. The back plug on the driver's side was/is the worst. The electrode wire did not come out on this one. The Lisle pusher tool seems to have merely mushroomed the top on the wire and the extractor would not engage. I found a video online that recommended using the Lisle extractor guide to help drill out the top of the stuck tip with a 17/64" bit w/bit extension and then use the extractor tool. I have drilled away at the top of this stuck tip with little apparent progress for quite a while this forenoon and have not been able to get the extractor tool engaged. I am a little concerned about using too much force on my drill motor and shoving the stuck tip into the cylinder. One idea I had was using a smaller drill bit to create a pilot hole in the middle of the stuck tip and then go back at it with the 17/64" bit. Any comments/ideas from those of you with 05 to mid-07 S197 spark plug experience?

Jim

KevinB182

Reaction score
Go to fordtechmakuloco channel on YouTube and what his broken spark plug removal videos. I think he’s working on an f150 but the procedures are the same for any 4.6 or 5.4 3 valve motor. He had by far the best videos to help you out.

KevinB182

Reaction score
Did you crush and remove the remaining porcelain from the tip of the spark plug? The tool won’t grab if there’s still a lot of porcelain in the tip.

06GT-Red

Reaction score
Yea, I found that video and used the procedure along with my Lisle 65700 to no avail. I took the car to an independent garage a couple days ago to see what they could do. They are worried now, after their unsuccessful efforts, that the tip could fall into the cylinder. They are preparing an estimate for removing the head. Talked to a local Ford dealer just now where I have had mostly good experiences. They are willing to assign it to their most experienced tech, who has good experience extracting broken plugs from our 3 valve 4.6 liter engines, but we did talk about the prospect of head removal...for somewhere in the vicinity of $2000. Just not a good experience...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back