May 2011 Car Of The Month: Marc

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
COTMMAY4.jpg

May 2011 Car Of The Month: Marc S​

This month we have somewhat of a "sleeper". Marc's 2008 GT is somewhat understated and simple on the outside, but all business underneath. Would you honestly believe this car has 743 rwhp? Would you believe this car has already ran in the 10s, and soon to be in the high 9s? I would have guessed the typical high 400 to low 500 at most. Yes, Marc is all business and certainly knows a thing or two about drag racing. Marc in his posts comes across like any other member here, but like his car, there is much more under the surface. I encourage you to read Marc's comments below. With that, lets see what really lies beneath that under stated, but clean exterior......

COTMMAY6.jpg

Ah yes, Forced Induction. Marc's weapon of choice is a Procharger D1SC pushing 20 psi for pump gas / street action and 23 psi when using C14 race gas. To handle that much boost, Marc uses a Kellogg crank, Manley H-beam rods, and Extreme X 9.73:1 forged pistons to ensure the short blocks survival. Hand ported heads, comp 127350 cams, 60 lb injectors, and a Kenne Bell BAP assisted GT500 fuel pump system help get the most out of the D1SC. Oh, I almost forgot......he has a Nos dry kit on tap also which he plans on using for an attempt to run into the 9s! This combo (w/N20) is good for 743 rwhp and 641 rwtq! So far his best ET has been a 10.90 @ 129.89 mph---without the nitrous, procharger only.

COTMMAY1.jpg

As you will see in Marc's comments below, Marc is no stranger to drag racing. Marc runs this car! On Nittos, the car has already broken into the 10s at an impressive 129.89 mph, without the N20. A serious attempt to break into the 9s with the dry kit activated coming soon!

COTMMAY7.jpg

Marc has done the typical suspension mods to help this car hook the Nittos down the track. Competition Engineering LCAs, Steeda relocation brackets, 4.10s, a 1 - piece driveshaft, Koni shocks, and FRPP K springs round out the package.

MOD LIST

Engine
Procharger D1SC head with stage 2 intercooler.
3.85”/3.55” pulley (20 lbs of boost on pump gas and 23 lbs of boost on C14).
Kellogg crank 3.543” stroke.
Manley 4340 H beam rods.
ARP 2000 cap screw rod bolts.
DSS 2816 forged Extreme X -5cc dish standard bore pistons (9.73:1 compression).
DSS ductile iron, plasma-moly rings.
Federal Mogul super duty competition series bearings.
Melling 10227 oil pump
FRPP .041 head gaskets.
Hand ported heads. (274/185 cfm @ .500 lift)
NGK 7554 plugs
Comp Cams 127350 camshafts.
Comp Cams 26125-24 beehive springs.
Comp Cams 710-24 chromemoly retainers.
Livernois phaser lockouts.
SCT BA5000 mass airflow meter.
C&L intake manifold
60lb injectors.
GT500 pumps with Kenne Bell competition BAP.
NOS dry nitrous (.042 jet)
Dyno tuned by TMS in Auburn WA.

Results: 743whp and 641wtq.

Drivetrain
Hurst billet shifter.
Spec billet aluminum flywheel.
Ram Powergrip HD pressure plate with sintered iron disc.
Shaftmasters 1 piece aluminum driveshaft.
FRPP 4.10 gears.

Exhaust
Mac 1 ¾” long tube headers.
Mac Prochamber.
Mac Mufflers.

Suspension
FRPP K springs.
Koni Sport dampers.
Competition Engineering control arms.
Steeda relocation brackets
Hawk HP+ brakes.

Tires/wheels
Saleen replica18x9’s with 30mm backspacing.
Saleen replica 18x10’s with 45mm backspacing.
Nitto NT05 275/40/18 front tires.
Nitto NT05R 315/40/18 rear tires.

Miscellaneous
MSD 2-step launch controller.
Autometer boost gauge.
Autometer fuel pressure gauge.
Autometer pillar pod.
Biondo line lock.
Battery relocated.
Vented Moroso catch can
American Muscle rear seat delete.
Street Scene rear blackout panel.
Street Scene grill.
GT500 rear spoiler.

In Marc's own words:

I was exposed to racing from an early age. When I was young, my Dad was an NHRA tech director for division 6. At the races, my mother was involved as well. She would use a fuel hydrometer to make sure all of the class winners were legal. When they weren’t working for NHRA or running their own business, they were racing a 59 Chevrolet in Stock Eliminator and an injected small block dragster in Junior Fuel.

When I was 13, I started mowing lawns and saving my money. There was a 57 Chevy sitting in a field that I had my eye on. When I was 15, I asked the old man what he wanted for it. My parents said it was OK to buy it so I handed the man $350.00 dollars and the 57 was mine. My Dad and I spent a year restoring the car together. We had the original engine bored a 1/8” over to a 301. He watched close as I assembled the engine. He showed me how to port the heads and degree the solid flat tappet cam. The engine was topped off with an Offenhauser tunnel ram with two 660 center squirter Holley carbs. We replaced the 3 speed with a slick shifted Muncie M22, and installed 5:13 gears. I will never forget the night he and I fired the engine up. I’m not sure who was more proud. I won a bunch of races and money with that car. I have to admit that most of them were on the street.

I normally don’t talk about my accomplishments so I hope I don’t come across as a braggart. Between then and now, I have been lucky enough to have owned 100’s of different muscle cars and race cars. I owned a blown alcohol altered with a 408ci BBC that still holds the class record of 6.67. I also owned the second quickest BBC front engine Top Fuel dragster in the nation. I am licensed in Motorcycle, Super Street, Super Gas, Super Comp, Top Dragster, Advanced ET, Comp, and Funny Car. My quickest and fastest pass is a 5.08 @ 302 MPH. I’m also a certified NHRA SFI chassis and tech inspector and was the Vice President of a NHRA sanctioned drag strip. I have been a track champion 9 times, a division champion 7 times, and a national champion 2 times. It goes without saying that drag racing has been a huge part of my life.

I’m also really fortunate to have a great wife that also grew up in a racing family. Her Dad road raced McLaren’s and was close personal friends with the Shelby’s. And her brother races a Top Fuel Funny Car out of North Carolina.

I purchased this Mustang new in 2008 with the intent of using it as a daily driver. I told myself and my wife, that this would be the first car that I would not modify. On the way home from picking it up from the Ford dealer, I stopped off at Bremerton Raceway to see what it would run. With only 88 miles on the odometer, I was able to get a best ET of 13.77 @ 104mph. Even though this car came with the optional 3.55:1 gears, I crossed the finish line in 3rd gear. I went home and ordered 4.10 gears that night. And then as they say, “the rest is history”.

What I love about these cars is the fact the Ford gave us the perfect blank canvas in which we can personalize them to fit our needs. In my opinion, the aftermarket and forum support for the Mustang is unmatched. That's how my car has ended up where it is today. I had a picture in my head of the finished product. The aftermarket support made the goal fairly easy.

Future plans for the car are to install a chrome moly cage, upgrade the axles and make the car legal to run 10’s. I would also like to upgrade to a F1, and replace the transmission with a 6060 or a Mighty Mite C4. (I can’t quite commit to the auto yet)

A big congrats to Marc for being May 2011 COTM from the entire S197 team!

COTMMAY.jpg

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
Great writeup, congrats!

Can we update the front page with this car instead of November?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats Marc! Well deserved!

That's some great history as well.

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Bad ass , congratulations marc!

Posted from Tapatalk yo!

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Grats!! And you are as much of a sleeper as your car!! Much respect for that resume man. You have certainly walked the walk. I cant imagine how that 5 second pass was..Wow..grats again Marc..:beerdrink:

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
Thanks everbody. With all the great cars on this site, I was very surprised to see mine featured.

BlackSunshine

Power Downshifter
Reaction score
Grats!! And you are as much of a sleeper as your car!! Much respect for that resume man. You have certainly walked the walk. I cant imagine how that 5 second pass was..Wow..grats again Marc..:beerdrink:

X2.....Congratz Marc. One day, in the future on a different plane of existence I will have something that compares to this lol :thumb2:

QWIKFIX

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome car...saw it for the first time on the dyno last Oct at HP Ranch and it was pretty bad ass then...CONGRATS!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back