Longer Wheel Studs. Needed Or Not.

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I recently installed a set of 2007-09 GT500 rims on my 2005 V6. I noticed that there is a small gap between the tire and the rear fender well that I want to close up. I need to push out the rear wheels on my car to get it to look flush with the rear fender, and I found that a spacer width of "1/4" thick would accomplish the goal. I saw that Maximum Motorsports has the spacers I need, and on their product description it said "Longer wheel studs may be required with these 1/4" spacers". It says “may” not “are” required. I contacted them to get that clarified but I haven’t heard back yet, so I figured I would ask you all. Has anyone here used wheel spacers that are 1/4 inch thick? And if so, did you need to get longer studs, or did what's currently on the car work fine?

Keep in mind, these are spacers that I’m referring to, not adapters. They are just simply placed between the wheels and the brake disk, and not bolted on like adapters are. Link below.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/14-thick-wheel-spacers-5-Lug-pair-1979-2014-Mustang-P574.aspx

Last edited:

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have used MM 1/4" spacers in the past and simply for piece of mind I would definitely use longer wheels studs.

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it would be the best move. Did you get the open ended lug nuts as well, or did you continue to use the stock ones?

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
If the wheels you're running have a stud hole diameter of at least .625", you could also use these "E-T style" wheel nuts. (Most OEM Ford wheels will accommodate these) They will get you back almost that full 1/4" of thread engagement.

hubconv-26a.jpg

Cheaper and easier than long studs, and then you don't have to use open-ended nuts too.

cheers
Ed

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Used open end lug nuts. Exact ones will depend on your wheels. For my GT500 rims I used Ford Racing open end lug nuts.

Post #14 in this thread shows the studs and the specific lug nuts I used for Race Star wheels.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96431&highlight=wheel+studs

Thank you so much for this information.

If the wheels you're running have a stud hole diameter of at least .625", you could also use these "E-T style" wheel nuts. (Most OEM Ford wheels will accommodate these) They will get you back almost that full 1/4" of thread engagement.

hubconv-26a.jpg

Cheaper and easier than long studs, and then you don't have to use open-ended nuts too.

cheers
Ed

These look like a very convenient option. The wheels I'm running are the 2007-09 GT500 Rims that are 9.5 inches wide. Would these nuts work with those rims?

Last edited by a moderator:

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
You would have to measure the diameter of the stud holes in the wheels to confirm they are at least 5/8" to fit the shank portion of the those nuts. All of the variations of original equipment S197 wheels I've looked at are that size, but I've never checked the GT500 wheels personally.

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You would have to measure the diameter of the stud holes in the wheels to confirm they are at least 5/8" to fit the shank portion of the those nuts. All of the variations of original equipment S197 wheels I've looked at are that size, but I've never checked the GT500 wheels personally.

Ok. I will check it soon. Thanks again.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Can't tell if you need a thinwall deep socket or not ↑↑↑ and the socket size required might matter just enough.

On these 1/2-20 threads, you want to be able to get at least 10 full turns of the nut (one diameter's worth of threads).

Thanks for the picture.

Norm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back