Possible Clutch Problem----HELP!

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Guys, the problem started yesterday afternoon when I left from work.

My car is a 2006 5-speed w/45k problem free miles. Transmission has Royal Purple in it.

There is a high pitched "squeal" when you let the clutch all the way out, BUT with only a little light clutch pedal application, the squeal will stop. All gears shift smooth and there was no warning of any potential problem.:wtf1:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check the master cyl fluid level?, how are the brakes?, inspect the clutch line?

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I'm almost 100% sure it's my throw out bearing.......I'll be changing my clutch out as well while I'm in there but I've read a mixed bag of opinions on the Spec clutch offerings.......any input would be greatly appreciated.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
NO NO NO to spec! It very well could be the slave cyl (its not a tob), i didnt mention it yet as it involves removing the clutch of course. If your just bolt-ons no real need to upgrade the clutch, but if you do a mcleoud rst takes the cake its $$$ of course. At a minimum i would replace the slave. Rockauto has the best prices on them.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Thanks Lightblade for your input!:thumb:

I thought the TOB was part of the slave assembly so I'd have to buy it as a unit, correct?:question:

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Heh Lightblade, you're starting to sound like Nastystang with the spec clutches. The only spec clutch that seems worth anything is the spec 3+ with the low pedal requirement.

Mine's been doing great so far. It's only got about 8.5k miles on it but no issues so far.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Heh Lightblade, you're starting to sound like Nastystang with the spec clutches. The only spec clutch that seems worth anything is the spec 3+ with the low pedal requirement.

Mine's been doing great so far. It's only got about 8.5k miles on it but no issues so far.

Lol, You have been luckly, and are on borrowed time.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
NO NO NO to spec! It very well could be the slave cyl (its not a tob), i didnt mention it yet as it involves removing the clutch of course. If your just bolt-ons no real need to upgrade the clutch, but if you do a mcleoud rst takes the cake its $$$ of course. At a minimum i would replace the slave. Rockauto has the best prices on them.

Ok, I'm almost 100% on changing the clutch out. I want a clutch that is quiet, grabs well, works well with the OEM slave cylinder for years to come, easy actuation, and has some potential for a little more power later on.

McLeod RST still?

Also, the slave cylinder at RockAuto is a National brand and a Dorman brand. Is this the same that the Ford OEM one is or some knockoff???

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lol, You have been luckly, and are on borrowed time.

nope... find me one Spec 3+ that failed.... I have mine for 8000 miles, 70+ track passes. Works great.

Ok, I'm almost 100% on changing the clutch out. I want a clutch that is quiet, grabs well, works well with the OEM slave cylinder for years to come, easy actuation, and has some potential for a little more power later on.

McLeod RST still?

Also, the slave cylinder at RockAuto is a National brand and a Dorman brand. Is this the same that the Ford OEM one is or some knockoff???

Is this for your V6?

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
For stock v6..save your money and go back with the OEM clutch. RockAuto is probably the best source. Yes, the Dorman is the OEM replacement WITHOUT THE FOMCO stamp, exact thing with ECP upgrades. This comes from the Dorman tech rep I spoke with a few yrs ago tracking the OEM HTOB/SLAVE CYL away from Ford which cost ~$300 at the time. However, Dorman through RockAuto offerd it at $100 or so. Word go out quickly and life was good.

My old 57 F100 pickup truck HTOB did the same thing. It's a nuasance but will work regardless.

up_yours_7

forum member
Reaction score
when you do the clutch buy a centerforce clutch new slave cylinder throw out bearing thats what i did on my car

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Niiiiiice!!!

1278176703.jpg

I guess it will make noise if found like this, eh? LOL!!
Fixed the car MYSELF!!! Wasn't bad at all!

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
Mine did that once, over extended. Looks like it seen a pretty girl and got all excited...

Good job! Ironic thing about is I might have a bad one too but showing different symptoms.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back