07 V6 problem

Pete

Reaction score
What I've got is an 07 4.0 V6. Car was running very well until a few days ago it "bogged" down, stuttered and died. If it was in park you could rev it and sometimes it would rev up and other times it would just sputter. So i changed the fuel filter and added some sea foam to the fuel system to clean the injectors. Went a ride today and everything seemed alright. But on the way home it started sputtering again, not bad enough for it to die but sputtering none the less. It idles great, and when you open it up it revs up hard then cuts off and revs hard and cuts off..etc.

Has anyone had a similar problem? No CEL on in the car. HELP PLEASE.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Spark plugs? Mileage on the car? What's your mods, if any? What other maintenance or changes have been done?

Pete

Reaction score
Haven't checked the spark plugs yet. Only mods are dual straight exhaust and an intake pipe, that's all. 51k miles on the car.

Pete

Reaction score
By the way texasblownv6, I'm still interested in the fuel pump, just trying to determine what is causing my fuel issue. Thanks.

Pete

Reaction score
There is a TSB on the fuel pump for the 4.0s. I have had my fuel pump cut out a few times and all I needed to do was hit the reset switch and everything was fine.

Here is a link to the TSB http://www.mustang2005.org/TSB/tsb06-9-9hesonaccel.pdf

Well I read the document on the TSB problem and it really doesn't happen after a long cruise, just kind of whenever. Is the reset switch located on the fuel pump itself? Thanks for the help ESP v6.

AND the document said this applied to 05-06 mustangs...

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
The switch (at least on 05/06) is under the dash on the driver side, on the side of the interior panel close to the door. If that needs resetting, it won't provide power to the pump at all (it feed power to the FPDM which feeds the pump).

ESP v6

forum member
Reaction score
Mine would cut out after only a short drive, so I'm not sure what their definition of a long cruise is. The first 2 times it happened while autocrossing and then the third time on the street.

Pete

Reaction score
Ok, changed the spark plugs, cleaned the butterfly in the throttle body and cleaned the MAS. I have narrowed the problem down to only happening when the a/c is on. When the a/c is off the car runs like a champ, as soon as the a/c is turned on it boggs down and sputters.:thud::thud::thud:

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Ok, changed the spark plugs, cleaned the butterfly in the throttle body and cleaned the MAS. I have narrowed the problem down to only happening when the a/c is on. When the a/c is off the car runs like a champ, as soon as the a/c is turned on it boggs down and sputters.:thud::thud::thud:

May be an alternator problem.

I will say the most fucked up thing that's happened on mine was white smoke coming out of the vents. I had just finished a cigarette so I didn't think anything of it til the inside of my car looked like a snoop dog video! Hasn't ever happened again though. You still have warranty on the car?

Pete

Reaction score
UPDATE**

Just purchased a newer A/C compressor from TexasBlownV6 and will be installing this afternoon. From the threads I found on other forums it sounded like my A/C compressor was locking up, Mustang models before mine had problems with the same symptoms. Hopefully this will fix it, thanks for all those who helped!!!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back