HELP! Erratic idle / Mis-fire

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
So I go out to my car (V6) after work today and my cell phone started ringing. I was trying to answer it and start my car at the same time. I turned the key to start and probably didn't let it crank over as long as normal. Anyway it started and died. So I put the cell phone down and re-started. I now have a very erratic idle and what seems to be a miss-fire. I thought maybe it loaded up and take off, and it gets worse. I pull over and re-flash with my SCT thinking what the hell. No luck. I drove it home on the interstate 30 miles and shut it off. Restarted same thing. No lights on the dash are coming on, no codes. We did got a tremendous amount of rain today so being somewhat old school I am thinking maybe plug wires but wouldn't I get a mis-fire code? I am not going to mess with it tonight. My plan is to clean the TB and MAF, ck for a vac leak, and then go for plugs and wires. I am at 69k so I don't think it needs either plugs or wires. This is very odd to me it was running perfect this morning when I shut it off. Any other ideas?

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I had misfire issues at 25K miles with the stock wires/plugs. Since you're running an aftermarket tune which probably improved performance, you should change your plugs a little more often than what is recommended in the owners manual.

But if it was running OK and then all of a sudden it is doing this after a heavy rain, then I'd agree that moisture is a possible culprit. Check your vacuum lines as well, along with the lines to the valve covers. Make sure there's no water standing on the coil pack itself!

If you pull/replace plug wires, make sure you get them connected back to the proper cylinders!

You won't get a misfilre code on the 4.0 that often, even if you're having a miss.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back