check engine light after throttle body spacer installation

RickG9

Reaction score
So I just installed my stack throttle spacer today and after driving for 15 minutes the check engine light came on. Any reason that this is happening ....

Yeah, your car is trying to tell to you to get that worhtless POS hunk of aluminum off its engine!

Seriously, we're not trying to make you feel stupid, it's just irritating to see the aftermarket take advantage of people who don't know any better by selling nothing more than a boat load of hype. The only reason there are so many TB spacers on the market is it takes $5 worth of aluminum + $10 worth or machining to produce them. Then they spend what amounts to $30 per unit in advertising to convince someone to spend $75-$100 on their worthless product. Honestly, have you ever seen any verified dyno increases from one of these things? The only ad I saw that even dared to include a claimed HP increase stated a 3 HP improvement. Really, 3?!!! They actually had the balls to claim 3HP? You can get that much change from one dyno pull to the next with absolutey no changes to the engine at all.

The best advice mentioned in this thread was to just return it to get a refund. After your TB is back to stock and properly mounted, unhook the battery for about 10 minutes to reset PCM, that should remove the CEL codes. There are simple bolt ons that have a proven record of boosting HP, like an UD crank pulley or tuner like the SCT or diablosport. When you get you money back from the spacer, put it towards the purchase of one of those.

Lone Star

forum member
Reaction score
There is a young guy in the local car club, that swears by his throttle body spacer, I tried to say that it wasn't doing anything, and he swore up and down the huge difference it makes. I left him alone because he is a good kid (22 years old, and Im 38) but I wanted to tell him its the placebo effect, and that he through away his money!

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
There is a young guy in the local car club, that swears by his throttle body spacer, I tried to say that it wasn't doing anything, and he swore up and down the huge difference it makes. I left him alone because he is a good kid (22 years old, and Im 38) but I wanted to tell him its the placebo effect, and that he through away his money!

good kids can be fucking idiots too, keep that in mind. :crazy:

Seriously, there are people who swear up and down their TB spacer added 15 hp to their butt dyno. No sense arguing with them. Just leave em alone.

Reaction score
Oh us poor v6 guys.
In a slight attempt to be slightly helpful, I can only venture a few educated guesses.
Altering the runner length on my intake manifold, in particular, for a 4v aluminator, will destroy my low end but allow me to spin it up to 9000rpm, so my point is, I can alter the potential energy of the air in my intake system by lengthening or shortening components of it. It has and effect, whether the effect is positive or negative, is up to the application. I was experimenting a little during my engine swap, and running the car without the filter box made it run like junk. Return the spacer, and buy a couple books. A lot of engine building books and others like it will greatly improve your knowledge and make this hobby a lot more rewarding.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
Oh us poor v6 guys.
In a slight attempt to be slightly helpful, I can only venture a few educated guesses.
Altering the runner length on my intake manifold, in particular, for a 4v aluminator, will destroy my low end but allow me to spin it up to 9000rpm, so my point is, I can alter the potential energy of the air in my intake system by lengthening or shortening components of it. It has and effect, whether the effect is positive or negative, is up to the application. I was experimenting a little during my engine swap, and running the car without the filter box made it run like junk. Return the spacer, and buy a couple books. A lot of engine building books and others like it will greatly improve your knowledge and make this hobby a lot more rewarding.

I have a sixer, I don't feel downtrodden. I love that car. It is completely stock except for all the exterior/interior stuff I've done to it and BMR springs/adj panhard bar. The GT brakes/suspension are more for looks, my wife never drives it hard enough to need bigger brakes and sway bars. Had I not bought a GT I'd be elbow deep in that motor wringing some more power out of it.

Return the spacer, no matter what else the OP buys.

Reaction score
No what I meant by that comment is that us v6 guys don't do to well on this forum, judging by the 7 threads in the whole section.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
No what I meant by that comment is that us v6 guys don't do to well on this forum, judging by the 7 threads in the whole section.

I got ya bro, just pullin your chain a little. This forum seems to be more guys racing and building racers. Just different is all. Lots of other forums have more sixer chit chat. I check in on them too sometimes.

Here's my wife's sixer that I did for her taking 1st at a show. That's what she likes, to each his own. I'd rather race, but that's just me. She polished and detailed that thing all day while I ran down the strip. Was a great day.

Attachments

• fordfever2.jpg
    fordfever2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 16
  • fordfever3.jpg
    fordfever3.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back