Spark plug won't go in!

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
So all the others are fine, but number 4 will not go back the fuck in! It's not rethreaded, but when I pulled it back out the tip was crushed and I can't figure out how anything could have gotten in their, and if there in something in there, how the hell do I get it out???

I've got class in like 2 hours so I'm hoping to get this done soon especially because it's the last one lol. Thanks in advance and any help appreciated.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Bad news. When that #4 plug came out, was it a little tough getting out?
Sounds like it was cross-threaded, probably from the factory. Happened to someone locally like that.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Bad news. When that #4 plug came out, was it a little tough getting out?
Sounds like it was cross-threaded, probably from the factory. Happened to someone locally like that.

SHIT! it wasn't tough, but it was skipping every now and again when I was turning it out. I'm hoping that's not the case, but if it is, what's the easiest way to go about fixing it?

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Well, get the plug in to seal up the hole, and it'll run like crap on 5 cylinders, but it'll get you around.
Check various forums, craigslist, etc.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
If your head is fucked, i've got spare heads off my 07 V6 i'll get to you for CHEAP since your in a bind; and i'm in Austin.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Well, get the plug in to seal up the hole, and it'll run like crap on 5 cylinders, but it'll get you around.
Check various forums, craigslist, etc.

I turned it on and it's got a rough idle, but it's not throwing any codes. There's some place about 50 miles from me that is a junkyard but it comes out much cheaper because they let you pull the part and they charge a hell of a lot less than other junkyards locally.

I'm going to try re tapping it at my grandpas shop as a last resort before I pull the trigger on a new one.

Damn, I can't believe it would come like that from the factory, what a piece of shit. lol. Oh well.

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
They sell plug thread repair kits. I would be more worried about the bent electrode though.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
They sell plug thread repair kits. I would be more worried about the bent electrode though.

My grandfather has tons of those at his shop 45 mins away so I'm going to try that first, but I put it in and took it out a few times and the electrode only bent that one time. I'm going to let the car warm down then pull the plug again the check it.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
The electrode will get bent if the plug doesn't go in straight.
Try the repait kit first, worst case, you'll f-up the head.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
The electrode will get bent if the plug doesn't go in straight.
Try the repait kit first, worst case, you'll f-up the head.

I was able to re-tap the head! I'm going to get it checked this Friday or Saturday to see if it's a complete fix or if I'm on borrowed time, which I'm hoping it's the former. As dirty as it sounds, I put it in and pulled it out a few times to make sure the electrode was no longer bending and nope, kept the right gap! Thanks for the help man, appreciate it. The immediate response made me piss my pants, but you and Kuro's help was great! Now to go to bed and pray.... haha.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
I was able to re-tap the head! I'm going to get it checked this Friday or Saturday to see if it's a complete fix or if I'm on borrowed time, which I'm hoping it's the former. As dirty as it sounds, I put it in and pulled it out a few times to make sure the electrode was no longer bending and nope, kept the right gap! Thanks for the help man, appreciate it. The immediate response made me piss my pants, but you and Kuro's help was great! Now to go to bed and pray.... haha.

did you install a heli-coil or just chase the threads with a tap and clean them out good ? If you got away with chasing them you'll be fine. But worse comes to worse I've put many, many heli-coils in aluminum heads (motorcycles) with great success. Glad you got it worked out, nothing like doing it yourself is there ? Good work man.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
did you install a heli-coil or just chase the threads with a tap and clean them out good ? If you got away with chasing them you'll be fine. But worse comes to worse I've put many, many heli-coils in aluminum heads (motorcycles) with great success. Glad you got it worked out, nothing like doing it yourself is there ? Good work man.

Chased and cleaned. :) And I finished with enough time to only be about 4 mins late to my class. lol. Car drives much better now after these small maintenance items. I've been meaning to air up the tires after my damn compressor gave out (with winter air LOL :kidding:), change the cabin air filter and spark plugs but with my new job and taking 5 classes, I barely even have time to scratch my balls. lol. But you are right, fixing it myself, and with forum guidance, was a great feeling. :highfive:

PUNISHERSTANG

Patrolman
Reaction score
if it doesnt end up working i had an OTC tool for the 2 valve engines that worked very well on junk threads. it had a guide that fit in the spark plug hole, a drill bit, a big thread tap, and a helicoil. as long as you use grease on the tap and make sure to blow the cylinder out with compressed air i never had a problem with them. it would only make sense that they make one for the 3 valve. i would be vary weary about driling the head without a guide

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back