Automotive Tools to Use and Avoid

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I work on Caterpillar equipment. We use them to take shit apart, or torque bolts down. We have plates that have to removed and the head on the bolt takes a 1 1/2 inch socket. 3/4 inch ratchets dont work, plus it would get tiring trying to do it by hand.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I work on Caterpillar equipment. We use them to take shit apart, or torque bolts down. We have plates that have to removed and the head on the bolt takes a 1 1/2 inch socket. 3/4 inch ratchets dont work, plus it would get tiring trying to do it by hand.

Ha. Guy at work does that and semi'sHas a 5000gal air compressor and multiple impacts. Good guy to get tool advice from

HooDee01

forum member
Reaction score
was looking around for a torque wrench, nothing high dollar but nothing from harbor freight either. what do you guys recommend for our cars? not looking to spend over $150

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
/\ I bought that one (or a very similar one) last year, used it a couple of times - works fine

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
I picked up a used Snap-on click style torque wrench (QC3R250) last year for ~$100 and it works great as well.

HooDee01

forum member
Reaction score
not too bad, im looking for one that goes up to 100ish ft/lb since it will be for arp head studs/ main bolts and suspension ect. i found some reviews on the brownline but not sure if its worth it or not. price seems too good to be true
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032A60W2?tag=atmlinr-20

I picked up a used Snap-on click style torque wrench (QC3R250) last year for ~$100 and it works great as well.

yeah we use snap on click styles at work and they are great and easy to use/ set torque but i cant justify spending the coin for one unelss i can find a used one cheap

HooDee01

forum member
Reaction score
Craftsman is fine for a torque wrench. I use one daily.

do you have a link to the one you are talking about? just trying to hear some reviews and do some research before i buy one and get stuck with a bad piece

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
yeah, we use snap on click styles at work and they are great and easy to use/ set torque but i cant justify spending the coin for one unelss i can find a used one cheap

I was in the same boat as mine is typically only used for torquing wheels. In looking through my purchase history on ebay, I picked it up for $85 shipped. I watched and bid on several before finally getting one for a decent price.

Jamie A

Reaction score
nice rachet wrench

BIG.jpg
Auto zone has a rachet wrench closed circle ends. what's sweet is that the one rachet wrench has 4 different sizes , duralast makes it. Totally beats having to get out from under car and find another wrench for the next bolt. There's 2 wrenches in the pack equaling 8 diffent sizes in 2 tools. There not huge either do tight spaces are a breeze. Totally recommend

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Wish I had these when I was adjusting my mufflers last weekend. Will have to check it out.
What's $ run for the set and which sizes are included

Speed+Clinic

forum member
Reaction score
The best wrench I have found is the ratcheting wrench but the one that bends at the end. It is perfect for all those hard to reach places. I personally dont like the wrenches that have a socket on the ends. Its very hard if you need to put a little bit of an angle to reach the bolt or nut. Now if they made them with a joint at the ends I would be all over it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back