Popping noise during left turns

SuperSonic05

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 GT with 138k miles. I just replace the all the Shocks, Struts, End links, Inner Tie rods, Tie rod ends, and Wheel Hubs. I hear a popping noise during hard left turns or sharp turns from a stop. I did hear the noise during harp turns from a stop before I replaced everything but it didn’t sound as loud. This could be other noise covering it up though. I still have the original Ball Joints, I think that what is making the noise but I don’t feel any play when trying to check it by push and pull on the top and bottom of the wheel. I double checked all the bolts and everything is tight. Could anything else be making the noise or should I just replace the ball joint/ control arm?

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
I have a 2005 GT with 138k miles. I just replace the all the Shocks, Struts, End links, Inner Tie rods, Tie rod ends, and Wheel Hubs. I hear a popping noise during hard left turns or sharp turns from a stop. I did hear the noise during harp turns from a stop before I replaced everything but it didn’t sound as loud. This could be other noise covering it up though. I still have the original Ball Joints, I think that what is making the noise but I don’t feel any play when trying to check it by push and pull on the top and bottom of the wheel. I double checked all the bolts and everything is tight. Could anything else be making the noise or should I just replace the ball joint/ control arm?

You replace the struct mounts up top? That's my guess

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
This is going to offend someone but the GT500 strut mounts are garbage. Not only are they one time use but allow for no precise camber adjustment. Get yourself some real camber plates and most if not all of your noises will be eliminated. Also double check the swaybar end links torque, the ball joints and A-Arms at that mileage those are probably shot too.

Aesthetics28

forum member
Reaction score
I think you need to check your ball joints or your control arms. if the strut mounts are new then its probably one of those more than likely the ball joints bad.

SuperSonic05

forum member
Reaction score
This is going to offend someone but the GT500 strut mounts are garbage. Not only are they one time use but allow for no precise camber adjustment. Get yourself some real camber plates and most if not all of your noises will be eliminated. Also double check the swaybar end links torque, the ball joints and A-Arms at that mileage those are probably shot too.

since my Suspension is mostly stock, the GT500 strut mounts should be fine. I did check the Swaybar end links, unless over torque them can create noise it shouldn't be an issue.

I think you need to check your ball joints or your control arms. if the strut mounts are new then its probably one of those more than likely the ball joints bad.

how do you check the ball joints other the pull and pushing on top of the wheel and control arms?

thanks

Aesthetics28

forum member
Reaction score
Jack the car up have the car loaded on a Jack stand have someone turn the wheel if the clunking sound is coming from there is the ball joint

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
I would guess Ball Joints. Didn't see those on your list.

SuperSonic05

forum member
Reaction score
I'm guessing Ball Joints too, but I don't want to just throw part at it. I also wanted to be sure I didn't install something wrong :)

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
I just replaced mine. Clunked like crazy. They were completely shot.

AR Stang

forum member
Reaction score
I did my lower control arms a couple weeks ago too. No more noise or bad alignment now.

AR Stang

forum member
Reaction score
Here is a video that shows it basically. It is fairly easy to do. I didn't have to unhook my steering rack to get mine out either. I lubed up the rubber boots on them and was able to get the bolt out. I will say unhook your wheel speed sensor just for added peace of mind. My friend helping me pinched my passenger side between the strut assembly and the new lower control and broke it. He had to pay the 45 bucks to replace it at the parts store since he wanted to hurry up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy_h9NeigFU

SuperSonic05

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the video, it lot better than the lmr one. I think I'll replace the control arm with the moog for 87 from rockauto

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

AR Stang

forum member
Reaction score
Don't forget that Rock Auto posted the 5% discount code in the vendor section. Doesn't take a whole lot off but any discount is better than no discount.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Don't think that because you bought GT500 strut mounts for your GT that you're fine. As mentioned above, GT500 mounts are complete shit even when new. Those of us who've used them have regretted it.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to let them take the hit the the wallet and learn that way. BTW the MOOG of today is NOT the MOOG of years past. There is what is made in the USA and what is made in china. Don't be surprised if you are experiencing this issue again in a year or two.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Don't think that because you bought GT500 strut mounts for your GT that you're fine. As mentioned above, GT500 mounts are complete shit even when new. Those of us who've used them have regretted it.

Agreed, they will still clunk in a lot of cases. Then you still have no camber adjustment, pita. I replaced mine with steeda HD version, which allows for +/- 1 deg of camber adjustment. Then set both fronts to -1 deg. With the ford oem struts, I had -1.1 deg on pass side and -1.4 deg on driver's side..and no way to make em both the same. The GT-500 version is worse than the oem ford GT version. Not having any camber adjustment is fubar imo. It's bad enough that the oem + GT-500 struts will clunk. Pay once, cry once, but do it right.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back