Water Damage

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Gentlemen -
Christmas eve we had some flash flooding here and the work parking lot took in a BUNCH of water. Well, before the sun came up, while driving up the driveway to work, there was a puddle. It looked like your every day puddle that should not have been an issue to drive through and I apparently I was incorrect and at that point worked to turn my car into a submarine.

I'm still of the mind set that they'll end up totaling the car (they've already said it needs a new engine since they drained about 2 gallons of water out of it)....
but my concern is that they're going to replace the engine and give it back to me....which at this point, I really don't want.

I say all of this to ask: The car did get about .25" of water on the floorboards and when I went out there Monday to get some stuff out of the car, it smelled like a swamp in it.
I'm concerned that they're going to say they'll just have it cleaned, but (correct me if I'm wrong), I don't know of a way to clean the carpet where it will resolve the mold/mildew issue outside of replacing the carpet?

Am I correct in my thinking here?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
With the forthcoming corrosion issues in the wiring along with the upholstery being ruined, it's totaled.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
As much as I live the car, I truly hope that's the case.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Water damage is one of the worst things, so many problems can turn up down the road, sorry it happened to you

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Water damage is one of the worst things, so many problems can turn up down the road, sorry it happened to you

I appreciate it. I've had 6 mustangs since I was 19 (43 now), so as much as I liked the car I'm trying to keep things in perspective.

I just looked at the quote from the dealership that the insurance has and it seems to only have the motor replacement on it. So I'm curious what they're going to come back and say....

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I recall a friend who owns a body shop talking about flood cars after Superstorm Sandy. IIRC, he said something to the effect - "if the interior carpet is wet - the insurance company typically totals the car"

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
What ive heard is that if the water reaches the dash, its totaled

waylander

forum member
Reaction score
with all the electrickery running around and the capacity for the carpet/underlay to soak up water let alone all the little nooks and crevices where water can and will hide I'd be running a mile before taking that car back. As an aside if it smells like swamp already (and are they sure there's no sewage mixed in with that water) I'd hope for your sake it's totalled

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Just spoke with the insurance co a bit ago.

They're repairing at this point. They'll pull all of the carpet out and look over all the crap.

I'm cringing at this point, honestly.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just spoke with the insurance co a bit ago.

They're repairing at this point. They'll pull all of the carpet out and look over all the crap.

I'm cringing at this point, honestly.

I would insist every wire harness in the car be replaced.

Fordever

Reaction score
In have been an electronics tech for more years than I care to say, but in my working lifetime I have seen what water can to to wiring/connectors/circuit boards, etc. If they don't replace the harnesses, you could end up with lots of electrical issues down the road.

So like skwerl said, "If not, I'd go ahead and list it for sale the day you get it back."

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
When I talk to insurance\rebuild rep, I'll be bringing up harneses, moisture in the brake system as well as several other points.

I've told them that if they can't grantee the wiring, I don't want the car back.
I've also asked for diminished value on the car due to it now having flood damage on the carfax if I go to sell it (if they rebuild, obviously)

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Picked the car up last Friday.

Engine was replaced, transmission and rear flushed. New carpeting in the car and all sensor "checked".

I made it perfectly clear that if I get in an accident and and airbags (or other safety features) do not work due to water damage that I would be suing the dealership.
Total Damage: $9137.67

Insurance says that there is no diminished value. You and I both know that if I were to try and go to sell this and someone sees the CarFax reading "flood damage", there is no way I'm going to get fair market value for this.
I'm fighting this point.

Related to that...It would be nice if the CarFax read "flood damage". At this point, State Farm made a mistake and my car is listed as "Total Loss".
So, I'm having to have them correct this as well.

This has not been fun.

As it stands, the car drives fine and although I've found a couple of little things I've found (minute little things only someone with OCD would see)...the car seems fine, for now.

We'll see if this stays the same in about 6 months. :okay2:

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Shit. Best of luck bro! I'm still trying to get my damage fixed from Dec. About ready for small claims court myself.

Yeah, it's not fun. I haven't necessarily had a hard time getting them to fix the car (although I honestly would have rather seem them just total it)....but doing things right the first time as opposed to me having to fight stuff.

I know insurance companies are in the business to take your money in hopes of not having to pay anything out. But I haven't made a claim in the 15 years I've been with State Farm. I shouldn't have to prove to you that you're not evaluating the car at fair market value or tell you that a car that is reporting flood damage ISN'T going to sell at that level any longer either.

Do whats right....

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back