Popping noise during left turns

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
If you're going to replace the a arms, you might as well get the tie rods too. Cheap insurance.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tighten your swaybar end links.

In case this was missed. Popping up front while turning is 9 times out of 10 just the sway bar end link needing tightened. Most don't get them torqued down properly as the assembly free spins as you tighten it and you need an impact or something to hold it still while you tighten. KISS.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
At 166k miles I've just finished replacing everything and still have a clunk in low speed turns going over a bump/curb. That has to be the sway bar end links so those will be next on my list. Going straight over a bump/curb with wheels straight there is no clunk because the sway bar isn't loaded.

I was looking at it and thinking the end link would be better if mounted to the lower control arms. When you turn, the strut turns thereby putting more side load/stress on the end link because the mounting tab on the strut isn't in line vertically with the sway bar anymore. Granted the control arm moves up and down in an arc as well, but not a severe as the strut when turning. Plenty of cars have sway bars set up that way but not ours. WTH Ford???

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Remove the front sway bar and go for a drive. If no noise, your problem is either the end links not being tight enough, or the sway bar bushings. I removed the bar, greased the bushings and the bar underneath the bushings, and the problem was solved. My guess is that the dried bushings create enough friction to bind up the bar and it clunks when it unloads.

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
Ive been chasing down a clunk with $$$ for a year. Put on Steeda camber plates, gt500 a arms, bmr sway/links, koni struts, etc still clunks over bumps and makes my car sound like a pile. I'm gonna try lubing the sway bushings and tightening the endlinks, if that doesnt work im going to try replacing my koni struts even though they have under 20k on them.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back