DSS driveshaft took a dump on me ??

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Well, it's back and it looks good, the rear CV joint feels great.

That being said, it's officially for sale.
I'll have a thread on this forum up soon, for now it's visible here

Edit: Guess I don't have to put up a for-sale thread after all.
Had it up for sale on a Facebook Coyote page and it sold in less than an hour
Guess I didn't ask enough for it, lol

The pics I just took of it:

20160204_rebuilt1.jpg

20160204_rebuilt2.jpg

20160204_rebuilt3.jpg

20160204_rebuilt4.jpg

20160204_rebuilt5.jpg

20160204_rebuilt6.jpg

Last edited:

travelers

Reaction score
Congrats on getting it back and selling it that fast. Are you going to stay with stock or go with another alum.?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
said hes upgrading to another transmission.

so probably another aluminum matched to his need's when needed

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Thanks and yeah, probably gonna do whatever shaft JPC sells with the T-56 kit when I buy it

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
That would be a Dynatech. Mine was great for the short period I had it. Shane (DiMora) has it now on his car.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
That would be a Dynatech. Mine was great for the short period I had it. Shane (DiMora) has it now on his car.

Yeah, that one.
I knew it was Dyna something, just couldn't put my finger on it.

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
I have the JPC kit as well. Dynatech is awesome. I also had a dynatech with my 3650 before it grenaded on me

I was once told they are the only place that balances their shafts at higher speeds.

Dunno if its true though

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I have the JPC kit as well. Dynatech is awesome. I also had a dynatech with my 3650 before it grenaded on me

I was once told they are the only place that balances their shafts at higher speeds.

Dunno if its true though

Dynotech says they balance their's up to 8,000 RPM. DSS's machine can balance up to 9,000 RPM.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
9600 to be exact

And yet I never could get rid of a driveline vibration that really made itself known after my original DSS driveshaft install. Turned it 90 degrees several times looking for that sweet spot, never found it.

Hope the re-balance that just got done was better than the original.

Frank DSS

Reaction score
Gabe, you seem to just have an issue with us no matter what we do. Im sorry the part failed as quick as it did. The reason no one could find the CV joint when we were closed for the Holidays was because its a Special High Speed CV manufactured by GKN in Germany. Its the same size as a Porsche 930 but not the same tolerance. The Grease in the CV was burnt and with out knowing what the CV dimension was its real hard to say after the fact what the real cause was, I feel we showed good faith in fixing it well after the warranty and sorry for the time but we did just come back from being closed for a week and were a little behind, We really do try to make the best part for the cars and give the best possible service. Using a u-joint in the application has the other issue of the male/female spline instability/harmonic and also the "exact" pinion settings, we give a simple range it should be set to and most have no issue.

p.s. yes the CV is 100.00 to anyone wondering.

Brick

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks and yeah, probably gonna do whatever shaft JPC sells with the T-56 kit when I buy it

I talked to JPC about a T-56 package around Thanksgiving time. I was told that a DSS is what comes with the package now and it is only available through JPC.

If you can wait until the holiday sales come back around, you can piece together a kit from the forum vendors for a lot less than what JPC offers.

Frank DSS

Reaction score
I talked to JPC about a T-56 package around Thanksgiving time. I was told that a DSS is what comes with the package now and it is only available through JPC.

If you can wait until the holiday sales come back around, you can piece together a kit from the forum vendors for a lot less than what JPC offers.

The T56 set up changes the back of the Trans back to a slide in yoke so the shaft will not need the CV or a male/female. It has a regular yoke that slides into the trans like the early cars and flange that bolts to the back with a u-joint (no angle issues as JPC has set the cross member correctly)

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Gabe, you seem to just have an issue with us no matter what we do. Im sorry the part failed as quick as it did. The reason no one could find the CV joint when we were closed for the Holidays was because its a Special High Speed CV manufactured by GKN in Germany. Its the same size as a Porsche 930 but not the same tolerance. The Grease in the CV was burnt and with out knowing what the CV dimension was its real hard to say after the fact what the real cause was, I feel we showed good faith in fixing it well after the warranty and sorry for the time but we did just come back from being closed for a week and were a little behind, We really do try to make the best part for the cars and give the best possible service. Using a u-joint in the application has the other issue of the male/female spline instability/harmonic and also the "exact" pinion settings, we give a simple range it should be set to and most have no issue.

p.s. yes the CV is 100.00 to anyone wondering.

Frank, I thank you for fixing it for free for me, I know you didn't really have to do that, but yes, I highly appreciate it.

My main issue remaining with DSS is the horrible, (complete lack of) communication.
I was a Ford Service Advisor for 10 years and when a customer dropped off a car I called him/her with regular updates on what's going on with their property.
Not ignore them for 2 weeks, even though their car might actually be worked on and getting fixed. The customer still wants to be kept up to speed.
I had to call twice to find out what was going on, and it took being on hold for 9 minutes the first time until the guy came back with "we didn't look at it yet" - you can imagine how I felt after the shaft had been there a week already.
In the e-mails with Tad before I shipped the shaft back, there was no mention that it might be a few days before you guys would look at it, if it was I would've been ok with it and I would certainly have been more patient.
Lastly, you mention that the CV is $100.
The shop I brought the driveshaft to, (to try to repair it before I spoke with Tad), called around, they couldn't get a replacement CV anywhere, ended up speaking with somebody at DSS that supposedly didn't want to sell them the CV at first, but they ended up "giving in" and offered a replacement CV for about $320.
If it was $100 I probably would've just had them buy it and fix it here and you guys wouldn't have ended up fixing it for free after all.
So not sure where the $320 came from or if the person quoting that price went there to simply get the shop to hang up and not sell them the CV after all.

So it is what it is.
Miscommunication led to a lot of my displeasure with DSS.
I'm still thankful you guys repaired it for free, especially having been unemployed for a couple of years now, finances are a bit tight these days.
So again, thank you for the goodwill repair.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Going on 10 weeks now waiting for my replacement DSS shaft to replace the one that failed. Getting really tired of it. Always been a big supporter of theirs, and own a lot of their shafts, but this is getting crazy.

Shiftybusiness

Reaction score
I have a brand new one that I'm planning on putting in after my built engine install and now I'm a little worried about the CV joint. Unreal, 10 weeks is unacceptable I would be hot! What would take them that long it should be a couple of weeks tops.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Turns out it was all the vendor I order it from. DSS never had more than a 2 week wait, but the vendor never placed the order. So not DSS faults in my 12+ week now wait on a shaft.

Muh-stang

Reaction score
I have a DSS driveshaft for my 2013 Mustang 5.0 6mt and there is a metallic pinging/clicking noise that is very loud/noticeable/annoying when taking off from a stop, when letting off gas and when any sort of load is applied to the rear.

JPC installed my shaft.

I brought it back after telling them the noise and having them test drive it and they were dead-set on the culprit being the CV joint.

I have had this shaft for over a year and just installed it last Monday. I am at a loss here as this is my DD and JPC still has my stock driveshaft.

Frank, is there anything you could do for me in this situation? I was on the fence about a shaft for my car and read a lot of reviews and picked DSS for affordability, the special pinion-angle worry-free CV joint, and the solid reviews. Lately there have been more horror stories but when I started researching I found DSS to be a smart choice.

Is there anything you all could do for me in my situation?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back