Rear gear recommendations

stanimals2

Reaction score
Hey guys thinking about changing my rear gears.My 3.7 has the automatic trans so I assume its the 2.73 gears. I drive about 35 miles each way to work each day , mainly freeway. Anyway from about 60 and under the thing shifts constantly, every time you touch the gas and in traffic its irritating as hell. At 80 its only turning 2K rpm's or less so its gotta have airplane gears, any recommendations ?

Thanks,

46addict

Reaction score
It's supposed to upshift at the earliest opportunity to maximize gas mileage, while staying sensitive enough to downshift when you get into the throttle to avoid lugging the engine.
And since there are 6 gears to go through, it's going to shift constantly. If you drive in traffic much I would invest in an aftermarket trans cooler. You aren't the only one with a 6r80 though, so I don't see it failing just because it spends all its life shifting. But a large cooler will buy you some life out of the trans. A lower rear ratio will make it shift even more frequently since you don't have the ability to skip gears like you can on a manual.

I would go no lower than a 3.55 ratio especially since this is a highway car. Coyote guys with the same trans like 3.15/3.31 so a 3.55 should be just fine for a V6.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Your data sticker inside the drivers side door jam (where all of the tire pressure specs and color code and GVW is located) will give you the axle code which is a two letter designation. Then simply google the code and you know what gear is currently in the car. Best to know what you have before asking what you need.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
You can also check the decal on the rear axle cover, it will have the axle ratio listed directly on the sticker.

stanimals2

Reaction score
Thanks 46addict might look into the 3.55's As for the others thanks for your comments. I will be honest I know where to find and how to read the codes but the short answer is I didnt waste my time looking cause you dont need a code to know what airplane gears are. My 96 GT has 3.23's behind the 5 speed and I think I want to go to 3.73 there so i guess its no surprises I think these are to high. I really just wanted to know what others were running and what was working well before I buy something. Thanks everyone , take care

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was considering a 3.7 Mustang for daily commuting duty once. I thought they needed to have 3.73 gears and a tune to crisp up the shifting strategy. That or a manual transmission. Also with 3.73 gears....maybe 4.10's.

stanimals2

Reaction score
You are correct 46addict my bad I meant 3.27 with a T450D 5 speed LHD RWD. I think I had some beer in my eyes that night LOL!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back