How To: MMR Billet Oil Pump Gear's Install

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tech thread of the year? Damn. That was a lot of work to plan, then do, then write up and then post it all....in order....with instructions. Bravo.

Blazer707@TBR

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Tech thread of the year? Damn. That was a lot of work to plan, then do, then write up and then post it all....in order....with instructions. Bravo.

Haha thanks. Honestly swapping the gears was easier then writing the write up.

apg2369

Reaction score
great job.....this forum need to get back to these kinds of write ups.

Blazer707@TBR

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks. Any questions just ask. Seems like alot of people recently have been installing them

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Should be moved over to DIY. Nice write up.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Curious about the crank timing sprocket(s): Do these just slide off once the chains are removed, or is some sort of puller needed?

12419353173_183447e534_c.jpg

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mark @ MMR has been very helpful, cant wait to get the crank gears and oil pump gears.

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
How do you install the front cover oil seal and the crank damper without using the recommended tools (303-335 front cover oil seal installer plate, 303-1531 front crank seal and damper installer and 303-D055 strap wrench? Trying to figure this out before I start.

Blazer707@TBR

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Mmr sells a bolt to install the dampner that works well and for the front seal you just use a socket that is the same size or can use the old seal to tap it in.

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
When reinstalling the front engine cover on a Paxton SC'd engine, should I be using the swapped out OEM bolts (3 swapped out bolts on passenger side with longer studs and bolts for Paxton cradle) to reinstall and seal the front cover? Then, once final torquing has been completed, remove and replace the bolts so the Paxton SC cradle can be reinstalled?

Blazer707@TBR

Official Vendor
Reaction score
When reinstalling the front engine cover on a Paxton SC'd engine, should I be using the swapped out OEM bolts (3 swapped out bolts on passenger side with longer studs and bolts for Paxton cradle) to reinstall and seal the front cover? Then, once final torquing has been completed, remove and replace the bolts so the Paxton SC cradle can be reinstalled?
I just did one the other day actually. I torqued it down with the oem bolts then the next morning took them out and put the bracket on.

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
Any tricks to reinstalling the oil pickup bolts. I loosely installed the oil pump, then loosely installed the passenger side pickup bolt. I placed a piece of plastic under drivers side bolt and made an aluminium fork to get the drivers side bolt in place. Can't seem to get bolt started. Spent an hour on 1 bolt yesterday.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Any tricks to reinstalling the oil pickup bolts. I loosely installed the oil pump, then loosely installed the passenger side pickup bolt. I placed a piece of plastic under drivers side bolt and made an aluminium fork to get the drivers side bolt in place. Can't seem to get bolt started. Spent an hour on 1 bolt yesterday.

Don't bolt the pump housing tight to the block, leave it loose so you have wiggle room to align the pickup bolts. That was a hard learned lesson for me on the 3v Oil pump swap. I also just stuffed a towel laid flat into the front of the pan and had telescoping magnet pickup handy, the towel will keep it from rolling down the pan if dropped.

Have fun...

Last edited:

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
Got it done. Left oil pump unbolted so I could rotate the pump toward passenger side and allow more room to get my fingers on the bolt.

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
Is there a trick to depressing the VCT solenoid pins so they don't get damaged when reinstalling the front engine cover? I tried pushing the pins in without any success.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back