Manual trans noise

moyjas1980

Reaction score
Ok so here is my story take it for what its worth....

I got to the point i needed to find another vehicle. wife said i was driving junk and needed something reliable. I spent weeks searching for something to fit our budget (which is not very big) and managed to stumble across a 2010 mustang at Rohrman's... after my wife talked to the salesman over it she found out it had a terrible car fax and it was at schaumberg ford in IL. The sales man then said that they had a 2005 Mustang GT at the Suburu lot on Coliseum. its black on black, leather interior, V-8, 5 speed with 92,000 miles on it and in our price range...BINGO!*

So the salesman actually brings it to the college i work at for me to look at it...its raining...hard. i looked it over the best i could (im not an idiot with cars) and drove it. it had a bunch of cosmetic flaws but nothing earth shattering. it is a 12yr old car with 92k on it. and the defects would allow me to customize it the way i wanted.*

So we go to the lot and deal with a salesman bait and switch. ive been around dealers my whole life in some form or another and i know the game. went back and forth and ended up there for like 5 hours till they finally came around to the financing i wanted. great! i get my car!

Driving home that night the check engine light comes on. i was furious but ok... car has a 3 month/3,000 mile warranty. Next morning i get a hold of the salesman who proceeds to give me a giant run around and whether or not they will cover the repair work. Took them 2 days to agree to schedule a service. in the mean time you can hear a wheel bearing is bad while driving it when its not wet out and there is a knocking from the bellhousing area. @##@!@!! Great!

So i get my appointment for the following tuesday. (i picked the car up on a monday...) so after 1 week it goes into their shop which is fort wayne kia service. I had pulled the codes with my bluetooth code scanner and told them what they were, wrote them a long note on the drop-off ticket of what the car was doing and in what context it was doing it. since its a Kia garage they couldnt do the diagnostics on the ecu for some reason... they send it to Bob Thomas Ford (this will have major significance later). Bob Thomas says it needs an ECM, that it was flashed with an aftermarket programmer and they cannot reflash it back to factory. So they order one through Napa (i know..should have been ford) and Napa sends the wrong one. Ford finally gets the right one through Napa and gets the car fixed. This part of the process now has it at 2 weeks later. I am not happy but i do understand things take time. Car goes back to Kia garage where they put a ball joint and a wheel bearing on it. They then send it back to the Suburu lot where it was traded in at for the trans noise. The suburu lot had put a slave cylinder in so if that was the issue they needed to make the repair due to part warranty.

Suburu screws around another week. At this point im talking directly to the sales manager and the service manager at Kia. I called the Service manager at suburu just to talk to him to let him hear first hand what the car was doing and in what context because I know how messages are lost in translation.*

Guy proceeds to get real ignorant with me on the car and denies there is any issue with it. I was fuming at this point. i was so pissed i was sitting there shaking after getting off the phone. I called the sales manager at Kia and lit his voicemail up then talked to the service manager at kia and gave him an earful. (now we are at 3 weeks of them having the car. So i give it a day and i call back to find out the status and the service manager at kia finally got upset with the run around he was getting from the suburu guy and pulled the car from their lot and sent it to Jess Lewis transmissions here in fort wayne. (this is now garage #4 it was sent to) and they said that it was missing bellhousing bolts and the noise was the engine/trans spacer plate hitting the flywheel. i did my own research and found out this is a common issue with these cars so i buy it and supposedly all is well. 4 weeks to the day i finally get my car back.

Tuesday this week i go pick up the car. they took care of the repairs. didnt cost me a dime. wheel bearing noise fixed, no trans noise, car runs way better (it was running so rich on that aftermarket tune that it was burning my wifes eyes to follow me to the dealership). Great its fixed! or so i thought....

Wednesday morning this week i get up and go through my morning routine, take my kid to the sitters, and on my way from there to work the engine light comes back on... so lunch time i run home and grab my scanner and check the codes... now it throws a code for the PATS system and one for the Catalytic converter on bank 2. So i call the sales manager right away and he says it will go back to ford since they put the ecm in it. ok no problem...make the appointment and let me know...

so nothing all day wednesday, thursday not a peep, yesterday i get pissed and called the sales manager and asked him why i dont have an appointment yet. he claims he has left multiple messages with ford service and they are not getting back to him. he give me the guys name over there and his number and said since its going there im welcome to call them myself. thats what i did. i picked up the phone, called the service manager at bob thomas ford and in 10 minutes had an appointment. this guy says he never got a message from rohrmans. either someone in his office never passed on the message or the guy at rohrmans is lying. im giving the sales manager the benefit of the doubt with how pissy he got when i called him out on it today...but anyway...back to the story...

i have a great convo about the car with the manager at bob thomas. seems the tech that worked on the car knew it and its previous owner personally. i found out that the car had a junkyard motor swapped into it BY BOB ROHRMAN'S SUBURU after it was traded in. this was NEVER on the car fax and was never disclosed to me at the time of purchase. So i asked the service guy at bob thomas to pass my number along tot he tech and have him call me later after work and give me the full story on the car. The guy agreed to.

I'm the mean time i have a conversation with the sales manager again. this time i'm royally pissed that i now have a car that has been in their possession for 1/3 of my warranty that has a motor in it with unknown mileage or condition and it needs to go back into a garage again. I told him they need to take this car back and refund my down money at this point. he was going to go talk to his general manager...

Yesterday afternoon the tech calls me....

Turns out the car belonged to his best friend. guy had a bunch of stuff done to the original motor (cams, CAI, aftermarket intake, headers, exhaust, cat delete, custom stereo, custom tune on the ecu from brenspeed). None of this is earth shattering. its a black on black v8 5spd car....its built to be a toy for sure. well the guy tried to install cams and it was too much for him so he took it to a local mineke where they proceeded to screw things up... cam phaser on wrong... had the timing all screwed up. this guy didnt know it and drove the car for a year until it managed to wipe out a cam. they get the motor back together...he beats on it for another year... goes to put headers and a cat delete on it and had meineke do it again... they screw up the headers because the flanges were warped (probably cheap headers)... later on they ended up putting factory manifolds back on the car.... he somehow managed to put the car into a ditch (explains the broken headlight tab and the stress cracks in the bumper covers paint front and back). then something else happens that the motor dies again. thinking its this hot tune he had brenspeed put on it. he bandaids the motor together...fills it with lucas and trades it in on a brand new suburu. suburu managed to figure out the motor was junk...they got a junk yard engine and put it in the car...did a piss poor job of it too. all the aftermarket parts are now missing except for the fancy shifter knob ($200 raxiom light up knob) and the stereo head unit. They managed to get the harness over the trans that all the o2 sensors upside down. so the pass sensors are pluged into the drivers side sockets and vice versa. They had plugs up on the intake switched with knock sensor plugs. the trim over the hood latch is just laying there with NO fasteners in it. The air cleaner is barely attached to the inner fender and was open and not latched down. they had one of the o2 sensor plugs laying on the manifold which melted the plug (wires still ok)

So this morning the sales manage calls me and tries to tell me the only thing they can do is either fix the car or trade it for another one on their lot. at that point i lit him up with all the new information i learned about the car and the fact that suburu replaced the engine (the junkyard writing is still on the intake) and never disclosed it along with all the other stuff they screwed up... told the guy what is going to happen is i will bring this car back to you and you will return my down money and all ties will be severed or i will be in contact with a lawyer...

i ##$@!@#$!! hate car dealers....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
man thats some shitty situations there, hope you get every dime back and they lose their ass on it.

sucks to see a mustang in such shit condition after dealer/owner fuck ups

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
They might lose a little but they will sell it at auction and it will move to another dealer in another state and some other poor soul will end up with it. It's black on black, it will sell with no problem.
Be careful with threatening them with lawyers unless you have one in your pocket on on your staff. I guarantee they have one on staff or at least on retainer. And they will automatically say "well do what you have to do" and then they will cut off all communication and turn it over to their lawyer. They go through this all the time so it is nothing new to them. You clearly have a case through the lemon law, not to mention a few others they may have broken but call the local or state BBB and let them know what happened. It could save you lawyers fees.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
I would also contact Car Fax and let them know about the car that they are giving a green light to.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
The car fax has been updated with all the stuff they have done to it since you had it, mostly anyway.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
They want to see if they can resell it before offering you any money back. That is not even close to legal. They are offering up a vehicle for sale that they do not own! Your bank may be real interested in that ad.

moyjas1980

Reaction score
The bank hasnt been any help at all...all they care about is the loan is paid. I filed a complaint on the states attorney general's website yesterday (it's all online now) and I'm looking for a lawyer now... The car is currently at Bob Thomas Ford for the second round of repairs since the light came on...

moyjas1980

Reaction score
This just keeps getting better and better....lawyers tell me I have no case... Now today I find out they sent it to an exhaust shop to have the y-pipe with the cats replaced....dealership garage did this.... And now trying to tell me the throwout bearing is not making noise and I have to take that up with the other lot that replaced it before (same Subaru lot that screwed up the engine install)

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
Lemon Law, Or is that what the lawyer meant with no case? I find that hard to believe. Did you contact the states Better Business Bureau?

Last edited:

moyjas1980

Reaction score
Nope....doesn't really apply since they fixed the issue the first time....this time it's new issues...on top of getting more grief from them....

moyjas1980

Reaction score
That's easy to say... patience has nothing to do with it...there is no other recourse without going to jail at this point

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
That is why the lemon law was put into effect. A vehicle that has repeated repairs and is in the shop more than out fully qualifies. It does not have to be the same repair.

moyjas1980

Reaction score
That is not what was explained to me what was explained to me was it had to be multiple times for the same repair and they are unable to fix it

moyjas1980

Reaction score
Ok...heard from the mediator at AG's office.... Basically if they don't respond to the complaint the case gets closed no matter what the resolution. So what that tells me is I'm screwed no matter what.... And now they are refusing to fix the noisy throw out bearing

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
Just a couple items that may or may not interest you.

Federal law

There are two types of warranties for product purchases, express warranties and implied warranties. Express warranties make specific promises about product repair, and are usually made in writing. An express warranty may be provided by the manufacturers in owner's manuals and other written sales or marketing materials. Implied warranties arise from a manufacturer's duty to meet certain minimum standards of quality whereby the product is fit for use for the purpose intended. An implied warranty arises from the sale itself, and need not be in writing. In each type the manufacturer assumes the liability and responsibility to correct the defect and, in the event that they cannot meet that duty, may be required to repurchase or replace the product.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was enacted as a federal law in 1975, and protects citizens of all states, to ensure that manufacturers honor their warranties and to reduce the chance that a consumer will be misled about the nature and scope of a warranty when making a purchase.[5] The Act extends to the purchase of consumer products, including motor vehicles and appliances. The Act also provides that the warranter may be obligated to pay the prevailing party's attorney in a successful lawsuit, as do most state lemon laws. A consumer may pursue relief under both a state lemon law and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.[6]
The existence, scope and consequence of express and implied warranties can vary under state law, and warranties for the sale of goods will often be addressed by Article II of the Uniform Commercial Code. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act will not protect the buyer of a product purchased without a warranty, such as a product purchased "as is" or "with all faults", but may protect a consumer who was misled into waiving the protection of a warranty.[6]

"Businessperson's Guide to Federal Warranty Law". Federal Trade Commission. Retrieved 31 May 2017.

Despite the fact that a used car is a much more likely candidate to be a “lemon,” federal lemon laws generally cover only new vehicle purchases. But there is one major exception: if the owner has received an express written warranty along with the used vehicle, then federal lemon law will likely cover the used car.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back