CAR OF THE YEAR 2010: TurboPete

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
TURBOPETE1.jpg

2010 CAR OF THE YEAR: TURBOPETE

There were a lot of good choices to consider this year. A couple of awesome all motor setups, turbo cars, blower cars, even a couple of show cars. But ..... there is something about a street car that can easily turn some ETs deep in the 9s at the race track. Currently TurboPete is #11 on our ET ranking at a 9.68 @ 143.49 mph---and its a full weight street car. And if that wasn't enough, the car is beautiful from any angle. Badass to be sure, and worthy of the top award for 2010. Congratulations Pete!

Below is the original write up from April 2010:

Photoshoot10ray.jpg

TurboPete's 2007 Mustang GT

This month we have a True Street Champion, a true 9 second street car! We here at the forum like drag racing, but its rare you find a car that can turn consistent 9 second passes AND drive on the street!

Pete attended the Spring Break Shootout at Bradenton and competed in the True Street 10.0 class. The True Street class involves a 30 mile cruise and a strict closed hood policy. You also have to run a DOT legal tire limited to 325 wide---no slicks. After the 30 mile cruise, no refueling or any maintenance is allowed, other then lowering the air pressure in the tires. Then three passes are made, back to back, with no cool down period. You also need to have a valid license, registration, and insurance. It really is "True Street".

nmrapics.jpg

DRsReady1.jpg

DRsReady2-1.jpg

Pete ended up wining the 10.0 class by running a 10.060, a 10.022, and a 10.003. This equates to a 10.030 average, good enough for the win in the closest 10.0 class in NMRA history. Good job Pete! Obviously the car was working well, and the 325/50/15 M/T drag radials were delivering consistent 1.41 60' times.

During T&T on Friday before the big race, the car went 9.98 @ 133 mph! That was with the 20 inch wheels up front to!

It should be mentioned that all of these times were accomplished without even touching the nitrous system.

Here are the mods that make this car work on the street AND the strip...

MOD LIST:

Short block built by NMRA Hot Street Racer Tim Eichhorn of Mustang Performance Racing
Custom Diamond Pistons w H-13 tool steel wrist pins, and coated skirts, 8.7.1 compression.
All ARP hardware
Stock heads and cams (holy crap!--psfracer)
Manley valves and springs
Livernois VCT lock outs.
Hellion Turbo Systems Single Turbo Kit , modified with a Precision 78mm turbo, converted to blow thru set up
TurboSmart E Boost 2 Boost Controller
Tial V-44 Wastegate
Tial Q blow off valve.
PMAS Air flow meter, w DiabloSport Mafia

DSC05405.jpg

Stage 4 4r70w w Transbrake and full automatic valve body
Rated up to 1500 hp billet internals--Transmission built by Jason Gatlin of ATF
B&M Supercooler w 10" fan
2 MSD Launchers custom installed by ATF to one Wiring Harness. 1st box is on a Foot Brake setting at 3100 rpms, the second box set on Transbrake at 4100 or whatever the track holds

Steeda Adjustable Drag Suspension
Steeda anti roll bar
Steeda lower control arms
Metco adj upper control arm.
FRPP rear diff girdle
FRPP 3.27 gears
Detroit TruTrac

Custom ordered 15 x 10.5 Bogart GT wheels with Roadrace billet centers. 325/50/15 Mickey Thompson drag radials
Rear axle tubes welded and CHE axle brace
BMR adj panhard bar
BMR panhard brace
BMR front swaybar delete

Lethal Performance triple return style fuel pump system
C&L Intake w stock throttle body
FRPP 80# injectors
Harris Speedworks Sudden Impact Wet Nitrous Plate Kit.

About Pete:

I am 42 years old and I have been racing and modding mustangs since I was 16 years old. My first mustang was a SVO in 1984 when they first came out, I was 17 and from then on I was hooked.

I lived in California for a couple of years and ran a Collision Center for awhile. I then opened a shop with my brother Ed doing Custom Paint and Performance. I moved back to Miami and my Brother stayed behind kept the buisness. He built a few cars that came out in the Mags including his Hellion Turbo Mach1 that was in MMFF and the Tangerine Mustang GT in last months MMFF which was also in the Fast and Furious.

I work as a Insurance Adjuster/Appraisor, but I still work on the body shop side building custom mustangs and on the performance side with my buddy Willie Diaz and his shop MAK Performance.

I hope to attend a few more NMRA races this year. I need a cage in the car and I am going to turn the boost up some more. My goal with this car is to get it into the mid 9s, so I am almost there.

Thanks again for showing interest in my car, I would be honored to represent S197Forums for COTM.

Pete

Photoshoot9ray.jpg

Photoshoot6.jpg

Last edited:

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
Congrats Pete. I love your car man! Definitely a great choice for COTY/

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats Pete! One of my favorite cars on the boards!

+rep to Paul for his ongoing COTM write-ups. Thanks a lot bud!

Last edited:

Nickoli

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congratulations buddy! You defiantly deserve it and now it's time to get that bad boy in some magazines! I hope I can get down to the spring break NMRA race to see it and meet you in person finally.

Couldn't have gone to a better guy!

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Congrats,well deserved! Its nice to see another site give away a COTY award.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Very nice car and setup you've got there!! Taking the True Street class is no easy undertaking I'm sure! But you sure made it look easy. You, sir, are a true Mustang enthusiast! Very well deserved recognition.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
100% agree... streetable MONSTER!!! Great work, Pete!
Ill be pm'ing you ALOT in my build/tuning process.
Hope to see you in Bradenton; Ill owe you several :bigbeer:by then!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back