new 05-09 shifter just order

james432

forum member
Reaction score
Im switch too ur new 05-09 shifter just placed the order friday night..getting that hurst shifter out i hate the damn thing..how many turns should i start out?i want a shorter throw than the hurst..

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Im switch too ur new 05-09 shifter just placed the order friday night..getting that hurst shifter out i hate the damn thing..how many turns should i start out?i want a shorter throw than the hurst..

I have to say that 99.99999999999999999999999999 percent of people hate the hurst due to it being TOO SHORT so i am not sure you want the setting shorter because its the tranny that is so darned notchy not your shifter

most people set the throw to 4-5 turns which is about 25-30 percent., the hurst is 44.

remember the shortest shift is not always the "fastest".

george

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I have to say that 99.99999999999999999999999999 percent of people hate the hurst due to it being TOO SHORT so i am not sure you want the setting shorter because its the tranny that is so darned notchy not your shifter

most people set the throw to 4-5 turns which is about 25-30 percent., the hurst is 44.

remember the shortest shift is not always the "fastest".

george

Just curious as to why that is? It would seem in my cobweb and malted milk ball filled brain that the shorter the shift the faster you can shift through gears. Please enlighten me :clap: :idea:

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Just curious as to why that is? It would seem in my cobweb and malted milk ball filled brain that the shorter the shift the faster you can shift through gears. Please enlighten me :clap: :idea:
because if the shift is too short you play hell on the synchros and grinding issues come up as well as issues with the return springs in the shifter and tranny for left to right cant move fast enough for the front to back which can cuase gear wall blocking.

and lastly you can have issues with clutch engagement and disengagement.

its the same reason dual clutch trannies get faster and faster but even they have to soccumb to the laws of physics.

maybe i should have rephased the term "faster" . what i mean is ...smoother, more consistent and more accurate shifting which at the end of the qtr or cones or back straight etc. equals... "faster"

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Oh ok I see now lol ... So in the end it is actually faster

Thank you for the free knowledge!!

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I purchased an MGW shifter for my 2009 Mustang GT four years ago. I heard the shifter was revised/improved in the last year or two. Is that true?

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I purchased an MGW shifter for my 2009 Mustang GT four years ago. I heard the shifter was revised/improved in the last year or two. Is that true?

The shifter was designed to be easier to install and also more rigid. but actually the best improvement was the new rear bracket with interchangeable inserts which work with your model so if you wanted to upgrade that piece you can.

give Julie a call at 706-793-1770 next Thursday the 2nd when we get back in the factory.

George

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
The shifter was designed to be easier to install and also more rigid. but actually the best improvement was the new rear bracket with interchangeable inserts which work with your model so if you wanted to upgrade that piece you can.

give Julie a call at 706-793-1770http://www.s197forum.com/forum/# next Thursday the 2nd when we get back in the factory.

George

Thanks George, will do. Happy Holidays to you and your team/family. Mike

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back