GT500 TB issue

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I purchased a GT500 TB off a forum member and then picked up a GT 500 TB, adapter plate and coupler off a local forum member; went to install it onto the JPC intake and ran into quite the issue; the alignment pins that came with the kit are way too big for the holes on the GT 500 TB....thought it was just me so I checked the other GT 500 TB I have and they holes are the same....????....did a search on line for how to install the adapter plate kit as I thought I was an idiot and on all the examples/threads I found the GT 500 TB holes are large enough to accept the aligning pins....so.....now what? If I open the holes on the TB to accept the pins do I even bother with the adapter plate?:helpme:

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No they didn't and I checked BBR, Lethal, LRS, etc and none of them show how to install it/comes with directions nor do they say anything about having to modify the TB...that is some fucking bullshit and very very very shady advertising.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Mine came with a template but I didn't use it. Just put the adapter up to the tb and mark the holes with a sharpie. I didn't have a big enough bit so mine was finished with a rat tail file. It's tedius but you can do it. A 9/16 drill bit would clean the holes out nicely.

IIRC Granatelli comes with the tb holes already matched. I'm not sure about buying the BBR as a kit, that could be why the complete kits are more expensive than buying components.

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Take a look at this link; to me it shows the GT 500 TB has having larger holes that look like it came that way from the factory and no where in the write up does it say the holes have to be enlarged by the installer...?

http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/arch...throttle-body-install-on-2010-mustang-gt.aspx

It states in the write up that we had them machined.

The GT500 throttle body is originally machined to fit the 2007-09 Shelby GT500 (duh!) so we had to have all of the throttle bodies mounting holes machined in order to match correctly with the adapter plate and most important your 4.6L 3V intake manifold. Don't worry we have tested all the kits to ensure they are perfectly machined and will install on your Mustang with no issues!

Also, if you follow this link, it states it in the description.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...00-Throttle-Body-And-Adapter-Plate-For-46L-3V

Our kit is different from those offered by the competition in that our 1/2" thick adapter plate is engineered to exactly match the center of the throttle body bores with the center of the bores in the factory 4.6 3V intake manifold. We have taken the time to have our throttle bodies properly machined so there is no drilling required before installation as some of our competitors do require. This task required very careful measuring, design, and five-axis machining, but the end result is a smooth, tapered transition from the large Shelby GT500 throttle body to the factory intake manifold mounting flange. The adapter plate is machined for the included OEM-style seal for a factory-like installation.

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Jarrod-I did not see the one set of directions when I did the google search and when I saw the machining term I assumed you guys were referring to the plate itself vice the TB, my mistake.

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
It's all good. If you have any more questions, or run into anymore problems, call me or PM me and I'll help out.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks and no ill will toward you/LRS, just frustrating that when you look at this kit on numerous sites no where does it say the purchaser has to open up the TB holes.

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I can relate and understand the frustration. Like I said though, call me or PM me and I'll help out. Not on just this problem, but any problem that might come up. If I don't have the answer, I can get it.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
HOLY FUCKING SHIT......never again.....one hour of trying to drill out the TB holes to get them to line up..buy the kit from LRS or someone who has done the legwork on this!!!!!!!

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
^ i know what you mean, i did this a few years ago and it was a major PITA. i can say one thing, use lubricating oil while drilling. makes it go much smoother.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
I just did mine last week and it was a nightmare. 4 hours of drilling, fitting, drilling, fitting. I used a 9/16 bit and then a spiral steel dremel tool to clean up the holes.

Blow By's adapter plate is designed to be used with THEIR GT500 TB which comes with the hollows already hollowed out. Otherwise, I didn't get a template either. Just lined it up and drilled her out lol

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
I setup a little jig on my drill press, only easy way to do it since the holes over lap

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back