S197 Dead pedal

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
Has anybody done a proper dead pedal for S197?

Was playing with left foot braking this morning and came to the conclusion that I could be a lot more consistent if I just had a good reference/resting point for my left foot. Factory "dead pedal" spot is way too low IMHO. Would like something closer to top of clutch and brake pedals.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I'm using a Scott Drake dead pedal.
Rg2P5kr.jpg

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Vacuum your dang Mustang!

Sheesh, kids these days...

Ha! I was waiting for that. The apartment I used to live in had a driveway with more grass than gravel. That was actually one of the cleaner days.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Got this from American muscle, I know it's an automatic and there decent pedals, but the clutch pedal probably sits higher most likely then the dead pedal.

Attachments

• IMG_20171019_094930133.jpg
    IMG_20171019_094930133.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 18

Voltwings

Reaction score
Rg2P5kr.jpg

Is this sitting higher, more in line with the actual pedals? Reading the OP i thought this was a stupid thing to be complaining about, but i think i've seen the light... this could be kind of neat.

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
Rg2P5kr.jpg

I found that via google yesterday. How high does it sit, and could it be easily modified to taller? I was thinking of buying and blocking up to the height I want. Does the billet pedal bolt/screw to the side bracket? If so I could unbolt and add spacers to my desired height.

Got this from American muscle, I know it's an automatic and there decent pedals, but the clutch pedal probably sits higher most likely then the dead pedal.

Most of these seem to be pretty much at the same height as the OEM hump, is that right?

Is this sitting higher, more in line with the actual pedals? Reading the OP i thought this was a stupid thing to be complaining about, but i think i've seen the light... this could be kind of neat.

I played around with some 2x4s last night. I'd like something that is about 1" taller at the floor (under heel) by something about 4" taller at the toes. It was kind of sketchy, but I actually test drove something like this last night. Maybe a little short at the toe, but height seemed about right.

I definitely want more height at the toe than the heel.

Last edited by a moderator:

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Roush dead pedal and I put 1" standoff spacers between the floor and the pedal. Nice thing is you can get the standoff spacers in various lengths at most hardware stores to fit your comfort level and they are inexpensive.

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

Scott Drake unit was easy enough to modify with a thick spacer (2x4 trimmed to width and painted black). If I go any thicker I will go with aluminum pedestal spacers.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
We added a dead pedal last week to ST3 racer Jamie Beck's S197 race car...

DSCN0746-L.jpg

This was custom made to fit around his cage, some wiring in the car, and clear his pedals. Very rigid and bolted to his aluminum false floor. Took about 3 hours, and a bit of grip tape made it less slippery than just aluminum sheet would have.

DSCN0520-L.jpg

As for "kits" to add these, make sure you can test one out before you spend the $ to buy one then install it. Some of the images I've seen here.... hmm, make me think they would flex a lot under a man's leg. But I don't know - haven't driven with any of them. Just a bit skeptical is all.

Cheers,

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back