8.8 swap

JimC

Reaction score
It isn't necessary to change the driveshaft - the 8.8 is the same distance from the tail of the transmission as the 7.5. The change to a bigger rear end with tlok won't have any affect on the driveshaft.

You do have to change the flange on the 8.8 though to get the driveshaft to mate up. You need the cobra flange due to the bolt pattern.

If you are going to get a new driveshaft, you can contact Shaftmasters for an aluminum one and have them set it up for a direct swap to the 8.8 when you make the change.

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the 03-04 cobra flange that is brand new i bought from jegs for my swap that I never did bc I traded the car in. If you are interested pm me!

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
There's a proper procedure to correctly replace the flange; not doing so can screw-up your rear-end.
JimC's suggestion is the best, IMO.

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
There's a proper procedure to correctly replace the flange; not doing so can screw-up your rear-end.
JimC's suggestion is the best, IMO.
ya you need to check the pre-load torque in the flange nut before you remove it, and use that number to torque the new flange on. there are some generic specs you can go by, but i dont have them here at work.

when i did my gears, i forgot that step and just tore it all down, guess ive just been lucky for the last yr or 2, worked out good( on the 7.5). i`d like to go with a 8.8, wish i would have done that a few years ago cause now the takeoff rears are about gone. ive tortured the 7.5 though, and its held up great, no complaints about it. i went motive 3.73 and t-lok,never had any gear whine either.

Agent007

forum member
Reaction score
Best mod I ever did to my old 07 V6 Vert. Had 4.30's installed prior to the swap and loved every minute of it! Regret never taking it to the track...

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back