2005 V6 Engine Replacement Question

07SGT4743

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2005 Mustang V6 auto as a project car. I haven't had a chance to dig too far into it yet, but I did confirm that it has low compression in all cylinders.

If I decide to replace instead of fix this engine, can someone tell me if an engine from a different year (2006 - 2009) would work without issue? Do the accessories, electronics, etc all interchange or is there anything I need to look out for?

There don't seem to be an overabundance of lower mileage 2005 engines available, so I wanted to look into other alternatives.

I'm in NJ and if anyone has a lead on an engine, I might be interested.

Thanks in advance.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
The engine itself will be the same. You may have to change the flexplate or pressure plate, depending if the transmission types are different.
You should keep your wiring harness and use it if you get an engine from a different year (there were engine wiring harness differences over the years). Leave the a/c and p/s hooked up if you can, just unbolt pull the bracket and pull them out of the way.

Or better yet, slap a v8 in there; they can be easier to find ( ;) ;) )

07SGT4743

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate the input, this will help my search. I will definitely not be swapping in a V8, as that's too involved for this project. This is simply a high mileage, low dollar find that I am plan to fix up on a budget.

The Shelby GT already fills the role of the V8 hot rod!

07SGT4743

Reaction score
Topless,
Thanks for the tip, but the car was finished quite some time ago. I was lucky enough to find a guy that was pulling a good running V6 so that he could put in a 4.6 to make a drag car. Gave me a great deal just to get it out of his way. Ended up selling the car and going through the same routine with a GT afterwards. Have a fun daily driver now.

akdoggie

The Mutt from the North.
Reaction score
1998 and up Explorer's and Mountaineer's also use this same SOHC 4.0. So do the Ranger's and the Mazda B4000. There are a lot more Exp's and the like than Mustang's, so your engine looking days shouldn't be too hard. There are numerous companies who have long blocks for this application, and for 2000 or so, you'd basically have a new engine. Just a thought.

07SGT4743

Reaction score
Thanks, but see above. I'm no longer looking, car was completed and sold. As you said finding an engine didn't turn out to be very difficult.

Enorym

Reaction score
I just did a 2006 v6 to 2006 4.6 swap. I'd post pictures but this forums pic uploaded from iPhone doesn't work.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back