2015 S550 6 Piston Brembo Upgrade on 2005 Non abs

Twiistedlogik

SL0 S197
Reaction score
Hello S197 Forum!

I recently upgraded the brakes on my 2005 Ford Mustang V6 non-abs project car to 6 piston 15" Brembos from an s550 and wanted to share some insight.

As many of you know the S550 6 piston brembo calipers fit on 2005-2009 S197 mustangs. The only thing that you will need is 15" rotors off of a 2013-2014 GT500.

First, the most frustrating (and probably because I did not research it enough) was finding brake lines that fit. All the stainless steel brake lines that are sold are designed for ABS cars. After doing research on forums I found that I needed to use a tee from FedHill Brake Lines part #TM18-3br and UM13-3. If you are changing all 4 of the lines you will need two of each.

Second, the only lines I found that fit were Revan Racing Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines for 2007-2014 GT500. Before using these, I purchased J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Stop Tech 950.61003 Stainless Steel Brakelines, Ford Racing BOSS 302 Brake Line Upgrade for 05-14 GT. I read that the Russel line works as well, but with the bracket built onto the line I was afraid it will not fit with the tee I needed to place on drivers side.

Third, I purchased Ford Racing GT500 Brake Cooling Shields but it turns out they make contact on the rotor so I had to remove them. I tried bending them by hand to fix this but I was no successful.

Lastly, I ended up having to run a half in spacer from Maximum Motorsports with ARP extended lug nuts to be able to clear the brakes. I have Concept One CS6 9" wheels with 36 mm offset up front and it needed about a quarter of an inch to clear.

I attached the picture reference I used for the tee (not my own) and a picture of the before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_2281[1].JPG
    IMG_2281[1].JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2262[1].jpg
    IMG_2262[1].jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2309[1].JPG
    IMG_2309[1].JPG
    470.3 KB · Views: 38

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
What's the end goal of this project car? I have an 06 without ABS as well and it's frustrating. I am currently looking for some 4 piston stuff whether it be the 15/16 "base" brakes or 07-12 Brembo's. Do you know if those calipers have the same problems with lines fitting as you had with yours?

thomasthetrain

Reaction score
What's the end goal of this project car? I have an 06 without ABS as well and it's frustrating. I am currently looking for some 4 piston stuff whether it be the 15/16 "base" brakes or 07-12 Brembo's. Do you know if those calipers have the same problems with lines fitting as you had with yours?

the easiest swap is using 07 to 12 gt500 calipers, pads, and rotors as the old hoses work.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
You'll still have the same issue with the left front brake setup since the non-ABS cars don't run a dedicated line to each wheel like the ABS cars. Unless you have a custom line made for the LF, you'll need a "T" fitting like the OP has to use the ABS setup from any other model.

Twiistedlogik

SL0 S197
Reaction score

The car is going to be a track car. I went with the S550 brakes because I got a deal on the calipers. Otherwise, I would have went with a 4 piston kit considering how much the rotors weight. As mentioned earlier, because you do not have ABS you, will have to make your own "T" on the driver's side to get the brakeline to fit. It is a very straight forward and easy task so I wouldn't keep that from discouraging you.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back