Power seats in base mustang

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys picked up some 06 premium seats that worked when I grabbed them. I have a base 06 and the driver seat has no power even though plugged in, unplugged, plugged back in, still won't move. No noises, what should I do?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Check your fuses? Without being familiar with that exact application, many times on base models the manufacturer will leave out fuses required for options on premium models.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The level of electrical integration in these cars baffles me. Why the headlights need a control unit it beyond me. I'd bet the seats have a control unit too. If everything looks right but it still won't work, I would wire it separately with an inline fuse.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
If you have a base model, it wasn't configured for power to the seats and only the monitoring wiring is present. Check the body side connector and count how many pins are in the connector. If three, no power is available for the seat.

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Theres three oldVOR. So what should I do? Can I swap racks or should I just buy a separate ds seat?

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Or could I convert the passenger seat to a driver seat?So no wiring is there for power seats. So, in theory couldn't I run a custom power and ground and splice that into the seats harness?

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
How many amps go to the power seats? Talked over the whole thing with a friend, going to make a custom power and ground setup for the seat

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, all you'd need is larger gauge wire for the hot and ground to supply the seat. The seat is always hot so you don't need to run through a switched source. I'd recommend picking up the seat power from the Bussed Electrical Center (BEC) fuse block position F14 and installing a 30amp fuse in that location for the seats. You will need a donor body side connector and you should be able to source that from any junk yard that has a 2005 or 2006 model (2007 and up are different). I'd cut it out with 6 inches of wire. Remove the two pins from the donor connector and install them into your existing connector. Splice the hot to pin 12 on the C311 connector (factory dark green colored wire) and the ground to pin 9 on the C311 connector (factory black colored wire).

Go here for the wiring diagram:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile=Seating.pdf

Good Luck!

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Well.... I didn't exactly follow that lol. I checked back on here after figuring it out with my stepdad. I have to get the connections a bit more secure and then i'll post up a writeup. Took me about 50 minutes, 20ft of 14 gauge wire, a 15 amp inline fuse, and a couple 3/8s ring connectors. Oh and wire strippers plus electrical tape. Works well now

don-ohio

Reaction score
Make sure no airbags in seat? That could be a bad surprise. don-ohio :)^)

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
If you didn't have power seats in your base v6, then there is something that was not in place to complete the seat wiring, whether the large square fuse in the BEC, or some part of a harness. Take the fog lights, for example: parts of the circuit and fuse and relay are there or is a place for it, but not all the wires run to the SJB and then to the lights. So, it depends on what is there in your base model.
Both of my V6's had power driver seats so it was easy to upgrade to better seats.

Glad you got it wired up though, great job!

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Turns out my setup wasnt enough, blew the fuse within a few hours, upgraded to 10gauge wire and 30 amp inline fuse. Made a writeup on this in the diy tech. Works great now. Wasted a lot of wire running the wire in front of the engine rather than behind lol. Oh well. Thanks for your help! I ended up getting the 30amp in line fuse after seeing your post. Hopefully this is enough. It is weird how ford has those random bits and pieces laying around.

Don- it did have airbags but not sure how I woulda set them off lol. Had the battery disconnected while workin on this though.

don-ohio

Reaction score
Moose,I was just worried you might energize that wire to the airbags. If you KNOW the wire(s) it is,then you can insulate them so that can never happen. don-ohio :)^)

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Moose,I was just worried you might energize that wire to the airbags. If you KNOW the wire(s) it is,then you can insulate them so that can never happen. don-ohio :)^)

My guess is the airbag is the yellow connection. It's all pretty tightly wrapped though, not sure if its possible

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Yes, the yellow is airbag. For your base, you probably just had a terminator plug in the connector under the seat, since you had no side airbags.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back