Power steering leak- tomorrow I diagnose it.

don-ohio

Reaction score
The Mustang developed a power steering fluid leak a coupla weeks ago. It leaked slowly last week, so I waited until I was to be off work to look at it.
Hoping it's just a hose. It has 100K miles on it,so it could be anything.
don-ohio :)^)

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Not very common for them to leak on a stock V6. The hose ends and clamps on the pump and fluid reservoir and pump should be checked first, as those are the most likely sources of a leak. Or, the reservoir could be cracked, too.
If you or someone ran over a curb, the hose underneath could have gotten damaged, but not that likely. And of course it could be the pump itself or the steering rack.

don-ohio

Reaction score
Thanks,Texas! I looked at it today.....put it up on the lift and surprised me!
The solid steel line that is mounted on the rack and pinion had started leaking near the steering shaft. Looked like rusty to me. I pulled the boot off the inner tie rod to check also,but no leak there.
Fortunately Ford has the line ordered for me.10 bucks. They say I'll get it tomorrow or Wed. Should be an easy flush and fix. don-ohio :)^)

don-ohio

Reaction score
Got my part! Going out NOW to replace the line, draining and refilling while I'm at it. Fittings have had PB Blaster soaking in all night.
don-ohio :)^)

don-ohio

Reaction score
Wow! It turned into a chore. The fittings were stuck and bent my 1/2" line wrench, so I dremel cut the line off at the fittings and pounded a 1/2" six-point socket on them. THAT worked, but then the old gaskets were still inside the bosses, so I got the one out with a dental scraper pick, but the one that faces straight up,I worked on for an hour with a mirror.
I'm pretty shaky, so my friend tried and got the gasket out of there with the mirror and flashlight on the first try.
Tightened up the new line,which had new gaskets on it, and let her down off the 2- post lift. Filled her up with new fluid and she seems fine now.WHEW! Would've been impossible for ME to do that job on jackstands or ramps. don-ohio :)^)

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Wow! It turned into a chore. The fittings were stuck and bent my 1/2" line wrench, so I dremel cut the line off at the fittings and pounded a 1/2" six-point socket on them. THAT worked, but then the old gaskets were still inside the bosses, so I got the one out with a dental scraper pick, but the one that faces straight up,I worked on for an hour with a mirror.
I'm pretty shaky, so my friend tried and got the gasket out of there with the mirror and flashlight on the first try.
Tightened up the new line,which had new gaskets on it, and let her down off the 2- post lift. Filled her up with new fluid and she seems fine now.WHEW! Would've been impossible for ME to do that job on jackstands or ramps. don-ohio :)^)

Sadly sometimes the easiest appearing jobs end up being concerns

don-ohio

Reaction score
Tonight I'll check her out on the 25 mi trip to work. Like you say,86, sometimes we get a big surprise on a `SIMPLE' job. don-ohio :)^)

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back