Charge cable burnt

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
c196465a173b5db3854c88c7c2759361.jpg
de9528b421d8ab226fc8255c4f16eac0.jpg
c9aeb0dd37de07a1caa923a6c51ec9e9.jpg

The images I posted are the charge cable on the battery cable at the terminal and the rubber cover being burnt badly, as well as the battery melting. The battery cable seems to be fine, it's just the charge cable that's charred. Brand new PA performance alternator installed about a week and a half ago. I also installed some new painted valve covers a few days ago and started smelling something burnt that night so I popped the hood and thought maybe the paint was baking or a paint chip had fell on headers or something of the sorts. Day or so of driving longer distances goes by and the battery is dead, so I trickle charge it all night and it still wouldn't crank. I'm assuming whatever this issue is has killed the battery. Would the alternator be overcharging?? All the cable connectors I unplugged to install the valve covers are accounted for and I'm not pinching any wires. I installed a new battery since this one died but didn't have time to voltage test it to see if it's. wing overcharged. From what it seems, only the 3-4 inches at the battery side of the charge cable is burnt, but I haven't been able to check the alternator side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don-ohio

Reaction score
Battery shorted?

Hoping that's all it was,a shorted battery,,but check the alternator's output to be less than 15 volts usually with a fully charged battery.
I ruined a JC Penny FOREVER battery once with a bad voltage regulator,overcharging. don-ohio :)^)

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Could also be a loose or poor (corroded) connection at the positive terminal block. While there appears to be some heat transfer onto the terminal block, the majority of the heat is on the charging cable terminal end and back into the end of the cable where it's crimped.

Check the resistance of the alternator output cable from end to end.
Check the battery side of that cable to see if it feels loose at the crimp.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back