Transmission Question

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
So, I'm back in the game after a 5 year hiatus.

I bought a low mileage 2008 Gt with the 5-speed TR3650 and a Kenne Bell SC. It has a Spec Performance Clutch and a Hurst Shifter.

Here is my concern.

The tranny takes alot of force to change gears. I had chalked that up to the Hurst, but then a bigger symptom became apparent:

If come to a stop and let my foot of the clutch and sit in neutral, once I depress the clutch again, it doesn't want to go into any gear. It doesn't grind, but just locks me out. I have to play with it a bunch. Once it is in a gear, I can row through all the gears no problem while sitting still.

If I go through the gears as I'm rolling to a stop, it doesn't lock me out. Only if I come to a stop with the car in neutral, and then I try to get the car into gear again.

Thoughts?

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
My 07 gt does that same thing but not as bad. Its most likely a worn slave cylinder. Does your car slightly roll forward when putting it in 1st from a stop? Try putting it in either 3rd or 5th then 1st and see if that helps.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
My 07 gt does that same thing but not as bad. Its most likely a worn slave cylinder. Does your car slightly roll forward when putting it in 1st from a stop? Try putting it in either 3rd or 5th then 1st and see if that helps.

From what I can tell, it doesn't roll. But, I'm wrestling it so bad at that point, I'm not sure I would have noticed.

As for trying 3rd or 5th, it is the same . . . when the car is misbehaving like this, it is just as hard to get it into any other gear as it is 1st -- 3rd and 5th included.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score

As an update, based on your recommendation, I noted whether the car will roll while trying to get into gear.

If I depress the clutch pedal and try to push into 1st, getting the "lock out" feel, it will make the car roll forward a slight bit. So, the clutch must not be disengaging all the way.

Likely the slave cylinder you think?

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
As an update, based on your recommendation, I noted whether the car will roll while trying to get into gear.

If I depress the clutch pedal and try to push into 1st, getting the "lock out" feel, it will make the car roll forward a slight bit. So, the clutch must not be disengaging all the way.

Likely the slave cylinder you think?

Thats what it looks like. How many miles are on it? My stock clutch literally grenaded at ~80k miles and I was too new to these cars to replace the slave cylinder so if it is stock it has 140k miles on it but I can tell its getting worn out. Its somewhat common.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Thats what it looks like. How many miles are on it? My stock clutch literally grenaded at ~80k miles and I was too new to these cars to replace the slave cylinder so if it is stock it has 140k miles on it but I can tell its getting worn out. Its somewhat common.

Only has 17k miles on it.

One other piece to the puzzle -- once in gear, the engagement point of the clutch as I release the pedal feels good/normal. Not sure if that makes it more or less likely to be the slave

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back