Quick EPAS Question

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The FSM says to disconnect the power plug to the EPAS unit before working on steering or control arm components to prevent error codes in the software, damage to steering gear motors, etc.

Does the EPAS have to be unplugged there, or can I simply disconnect the negative battery terminal?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How the heck do you get the front lower control arm bolt out?! No matter what you do, the tie rod boot is in the way!

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I just did lower control arm bushings/ball joints. I took both bolts out that hold the rack (18mm socket) to the cradle. Used a small bottle jack to GENTLY lift the rack up as far as it would go (touching oil pan). That allowed me to get the Aarm bolts out. I did disconnect the left tie rod, but not the right side. Left the steering shaft attached to the rack.

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
if they are like the 05-09 steering rack, a ratchet and socket will be able to get onto it from under the car, however it may be a bitch to get enough leverage to turn them

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if they are like the 05-09 steering rack, a ratchet and socket will be able to get onto it from under the car, however it may be a bitch to get enough leverage to turn them

Yeah, that's the problem I was having. Of course the bolts have to go in from the TOP of the dang rack!

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
welcome to me a couple years ago, applying so much torque to undo the bottoms, but then realizing they are welded into the K member, DOH!
basically somehow finding an angle that will work from the top, or finding a way to use extensions and stuff from above the motor

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I have a longer handle 3/8 swivel head ratchet, with a shallow impact socket, it was not too bad (from the front) I also had enough room to reach them with a box end wrench from the back to break them lose.

travelers

Reaction score
This is all that the book or CD has to say about it.

NOTICE: Note the orientation of the lower ball joint nut and bolt. They must be installed using the same orientation or damage to the steering gear bellows boot may occur.

Remove and discard the lower ball joint nut and bolt.
Separate the lower arm and the wheel spindle.
Remove the steering gear bolts. Position the steering gear to gain access to the lower control arm forward bolt.
NOTICE: Use care not to damage the steering gear bellows boot while removing the lower arm forward bolt.

Remove and discard the lower arm forward bolt.
Remove and discard the lower control arm rearward nuts and flag bolts.
Remove the lower control arm and bracket assembly.
Installation

NOTE: To ease installation, the position of the lower control arm nut and flag bolt may be reversed to allow installation of the nut from underneath the vehicle.

Install the lower arm and bracket assembly and the lower arm rearward nuts and flag bolts.
Tighten the new nuts to 185 Nm (136 lb-ft).
NOTICE: Use care not to damage the steering gear bellows boot while installing the lower arm forward bolt.

NOTE: Do not tighten the lower arm forward bolt at this time.

Loosely install the lower arm forward bolt.
Position the steering gear and install the steering gear bolts.
Tighten to 103 Nm (76 lb-ft).
NOTICE: The lower ball joint seal must be fully seated against the wheel spindle or damage to the ball joint may occur.

Position the lower ball joint into the wheel spindle and install the new lower ball joint nut and bolt.
Tighten the nut to 115 Nm (85 lb-ft).
Install the wheel and tire. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04 .
Lower the vehicle so the weight of the vehicle is resting on the wheel and tires.
Tighten the new lower arm forward bolt to 210 Nm (155 lb-ft).
NOTE: Make sure the Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) electrical connector is fully seated and the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) feature is engaged.

Connect the Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) power supply electrical connector and secure the red CPA feature.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the FSM. It says exactly that: remove the steering gear bolts.

Usually the manual is very helpful; for this procedure, it's basically worthless.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back