First day NJMP 10.14.2017

Bad Horsie

Reaction score
Ok I'm hooked!!!!. Had a great time! car performed well. Much to learn in a short time.Instructor said I did great for first time. made some mistakes and will probably make more but that's how you learn. Rode right seat in his car(03 GT #44X) for one session to see how its really done. This was really helpful in understanding the dynamics and helped me in my next run. Signed up For Lightning on Nov 4th....

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Which track? Any video or approximate speeds that you were braking from? Any lap times?

From your other post, what 'adjustments' did you make in your braking, and which session was it that you got them to stink?

Before November 4th, at the very least bleed each caliper until the fluid runs amber in color - the first fluid out will probably be dark or even black especially if you're running the OE 12.4" front rotors with their 2-piston sliding calipers. Use clear tubing.

Unless that 'stink' was from green fade you may be closer to needing a pad upgrade than you think, so inspect them for condition as well as remaining thickness. Green fade should only happen once leaving the pads good thereafter until they're worn well below event tech requirements.

Check your rotors for heat checking (a spider-webby mesh of fine surface cracking) and when you can catch a fingernail in any of those surface cracks I'd plan on replacing both rotors on that end of the car before the next track day.

Norm

Bad Horsie

Reaction score
No video or lap times yet. right now I only concerned with learning line and smooth control. And learning the track which at this time was Thunderbolt. I lost almost half my track time due to fires and cars off track . So I only got 2 full sessions out of 4 the other 2 were 2 and 3 laps. EBC Brake rotors and pads are brand new all 4 wheels. I bedded the pads per EBC instructions.Being new and a little nervous I thing I was riding the brakes to long I corrected this with lower speed entry into the turns and shorter harder braking it appeared to me that'this allowing for better cooling. The rotors still look fine and there is still plenty of pad left. Of course ducts will be on the to do list.and better pads and rotors Btw We were running very heavy. I'm 220 30 lbs over weight and my instructor is 6'2 about 250.
Norm maybe you could come on the 4th since your not that far away.so I can can get some input

Bad Horsie

Reaction score
Session 1 was short. 4 laps first 2 was instructor driving.Session 2 was full run then some stink when we were done front rotors were a little blue. Session 3 car fire at the end of the front straight.3 laps black and checker flag done. They were running out of daylight and had to get thunder race on due other session delays. So no make up time for me. Session 4 better consistency full run with headlights no stinky brakes. Drove home 100 miles and all seems fine.
Thanks for the feedback

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
That does sound like the onset of green fade, and having session 3 shortened undoubtedly helped them recover for session 4 and (in some respects more importantly) for your ride home.

I'll try to get down on the 4th, but with me not belonging to NASA or being familiar with the way they run things like tech inspection and run group assignment I doubt I'll be running (hopefully I'll at least be able/allowed to show up to chat). Our house is about to get roofing, siding, and some electrical work sometime in about the next 3 weeks. I have no idea what the different crews' scheduling is going to look like, but I want to be here when they are.

Norm

Bad Horsie

Reaction score
Big thanks to Norm for coming out to visit me at NJMP Lighting yesterday. Learned quite a bit and beginning to get the hang of it.Had a great time . Norm after lunch when u left we were aggessiveley working on threshold braking.You missed a good one .After a few laps and gaining more confidence I was humbled. coming out of the front straight into turn 1 ,I did not brake hard enough ,turned in and off I went into the grass. I just rode it out without trying to correct myself back in as I was taught in the classroom. after the dust settled Instructor said I handled it perfectly. we got cleared to drive back to the hot pit. they looked the car over, no damage shook it off and right back out I went. we finshed up the session, took a break and talked about it. all good.He had to leave early for the day because he also was filling in for my original instructor who was a no show no call. so another Instructor(mustang owner) filled in rode with me on last run of the day. He worked me good and I showed improvement. Despite the dumb mistake I left the track for the ride home feeling good. Looking fwd to next spring season...

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back