Replacement clutch kit options

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
My wife's DD is a 2006 GT with 77k miles on it, the car is 100% stock other than hot rod cams and 4.10's. The slave cylinder / throw out bearing has been starting to chatter and is slowly but surely getting worse so I know I need to replace it soon. Obviously while I have everything apart it makes sense to replace the clutch and pilot bearing, what's a decent clutch or kit that won't break the bank? I've read that some of the slave cylinders that come with the kits suck and that I shouldn't use them so IDK where to begin. Again the car is nearly bone stock, it's just a DD. Thanks for any suggestions,

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
My car chattered immediately after hotrod install. From a guy at work he suggested it was the input shaft chattering but no real concern

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
My car chattered immediately after hotrod install. From a guy at work he suggested it was the input shaft chattering but no real concern

Interesting, the noise definitely stops when pressing the clutch pedal in so I assumed it's the slave cylinder. It doesn't do it when the motor is cool, when you first start it, or if you rev it a bit the noise will stop, your guy at work might be right. I'll continue to monitor it for a bit before I tear into it for sure. Thanks for the tip.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
yea, in stock form it chattered with the cams, now built motor and mcloed twin disk clutch and new oem slave, it chatters a little.

was told it was from the lope of the engine at idle making the input shaft not have even acceleration, slowing down a bit between lopes and then accelerating

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
yea, in stock form it chattered with the cams, now built motor and mcloed twin disk clutch and new oem slave, it chatters a little.

was told it was from the lope of the engine at idle making the input shaft not have even acceleration, slowing down a bit between lopes and then accelerating

Yea after I put Hodrods in my car I noticed the same thing...only heard it when the trans warmed up and idling in neutral. After the 6060 swap its quieter inside the car since a plate is used to instead of a rubber shifter boot.

AnotherS197

forum member
Reaction score
Same as everyone else is saying, idle in neutral with the clutch engaged I get the clatter noise. Completely normal it seems. Pretty annoying imo, but oh well.

If it's not squeaking or squealing as you engage the clutch, typically your throwout is in decent shape from my experience. If or when you do decide to replace it, order up a new OEM slave from tousley or equivalent. That's what I've done with all my Fords and I've never had an issue. The extra $80 or so has always been worth the peace of mind.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
If you are still interested in replacing the clutch this one is great for stock replacements. Amazon.com: LuK 07-188 Clutch Set: Automotive
Friction disk is Valeo which is Ford OEM, Throwout bearing is FTE which is also Ford OEM, etc. I have over 30K on mine with lots of hard launches which and it is still perfect.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Mine also chattered when I had the Thumper cams, and stopped when I removed the cams and put stock cams and the blower on. Now all I hear is the hair dryer (red race valve).

If you do go after a new clutch, I recommend the Exedy Mach 400. I think they make one stage lower, but the Mach 400 has been outstanding for me. It's a little heavier than OEM, but not much. The g/f doesn't complain about it. I paid $160 for it like 4 or 5 years ago FWIW. It comes with a doorman slave, it's still in the car and hasn't given me problems. Didn't need to shim it either. I also run a '13 GT500 master cylinder and SS clutch line.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Okay great thanks for all the info, since there are no squeaks or anything while engaging I'll probably just leave it for now, if it ain't broke I'm not gonna fix it lol. But if it does get worse, thanks for the kit suggestions.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back