6R80 in my 05

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
hey it's only $$$ right Billy.... :highfive:
I just think the 6r80 would make the car a little more fun on the street. My strip terminator has fixed line pressure and non lockup. That is two things I would change if I was to do a 4r70w again. Thing is though that big ass one PC shaft in the non lockup can hold a lot more power.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but Billy, I think it would be cheaper for you in the long run to put a 9 inch rear in the car. It would give you the added benefit of a stronger rear and you could run 2 complete center sections. One with gearing for the strip and one for the Mile. It isn't a big deal to swap out center sections on a 9 inch.

I think this would be a much better way to go than trying to make the 6R work, with your power levels and cheaper also.

Earl

Look into a quick change. Swap a couple idler gears and you just swapped your ratio. Google Winters. There are others.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but Billy, I think it would be cheaper for you in the long run to put a 9 inch rear in the car. It would give you the added benefit of a stronger rear and you could run 2 complete center sections. One with gearing for the strip and one for the Mile. It isn't a big deal to swap out center sections on a 9 inch.

This is a great option, so many more gear ratios available too. If a 12 bolt GM has the ratio you need, Strange makes a 9 inch center section that takes the 12 bolt parts, this does away with the extra parasitic loss of the 9" gearset.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There was a thread about this in Chit Chat about a month back or so started by 05stroker (I think). Sounds like no-one has stepped up with a stand alone controller as of yet. It will be a popular swap once someone gets a controller up and running.

awesome autocorrect malfunctions brought to you by tapatalk

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
There was a thread about this in Chit Chat about a month back or so started by 05stroker (I think). Sounds like no-one has stepped up with a stand alone controller as of yet. It will be a popular swap once someone gets a controller up and running.

Nothing yet that I know of.

Last edited:

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score

It definitely will be. Mine plan is to buy a dead 1st gen S197, swap in a built FI 4.6L 3V with a 6r80.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It definitely will be. Mine plan is to buy a dead 1st gen S197, swap in a built FI 4.6L 3V with a 6r80.

If I were going to do that I would find an 11-12 that was totaled but had all the wiring in good shape and I would put a 5.0, 6R80 and all the 11-12 wiring harnesses and computer into the S197.

Earl

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
It's great to hear that Baumann is working on a controller for a 6R80! I've been thinking about such a swap as well.
I run the same setup, a 4r70 with auto vb, lo tb, lockup converter, using Baumann's Optishift for full automatic control. With 373's, 3rd gear hits 130-ish at 6k rpms.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
It's great to hear that Baumann is working on a controller for a 6R80! I've been thinking about such a swap as well.
I run the same setup, a 4r70 with auto vb, lo tb, lockup converter, using Baumann's Optishift for full automatic control. With 373's, 3rd gear hits 130-ish at 6k rpms.

Have you ever spun it higher then 6k? Wondering what it would be at 7200 rpms?

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Another way this could be pulled off may be to use a wiring harness and pcm from an 06-10 explorer or sport trac as they had the 3V and 6R80 combo from the factory. It would be pretty labor intensive and would probably take someone like Lito to pull it off.
It's way beyond my capabilities but it could possibly work.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Another way this could be pulled off may be to use a wiring harness and pcm from an 06-10 explorer or sport trac as they had the 3V and 6R80 combo from the factory. It would be pretty labor intensive and would probably take someone like Lito to pull it off.
It's way beyond my capabilities but it could possibly work.

Did they use the same PCM (Spanish Oak) as our cars?

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did a quick search and I am not sure. Lito would probably be the guy to ask as he deals with lots of explorers.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Hey crown does nt jd coon run the 4l80

Who?.. lol. My brain is shot. Drove 6hrs this morning to pick up abmr k member, installed that, pulled my trans and worked on two other cars today

4l supposed to be good trans but never ran one. It is hard to look at the 4r sitting on my garage floor again and not go for the 6r. Maybe this winter...

stang67

forum member
Reaction score
Jd coon is his screen name and actual name. He runs a. Gt500 I read in muscle mustangs his car had a 4l80

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, they have a TCM, latest model (09+ IIRC) use a 6R80, don't quote me on that as I am not completely sure when they did this, they used an 6R60 before.

ummduh

forum member
Reaction score
I don't understand why the no OD comments on the 6R. I've used all 6 gears on the mile before.
In the trucks, Ford even says you can tow in OD with the 6R also. That used to be a MAJOR no-no. The 6R is just a bad ass trans, finally.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back