Can a 4.0 sound good?

ejschmidt

forum member
Reaction score
Ah, I see I posted this in the wrong sub forum. This really wasn't so much tech as it is just general discussion about the 4.0... So no, not tech.

Not that this sub forum is used for anything else...

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
OP, that second video sounds badass.

1. You can never make a V6 sound like a V8. It is just not a logical task either. I do think you can make a V6 sounds good though, they just need to have a low purring sound. Lots of people over shoot that goal and it sounds like a golf ball rattling in a tin can.

I never understood a V8 guy comming into a V6 thread and telling every body how much a V6 sucks. I never will get it.

The Bullit mufflers or also called the GTA mufflers will go a long way to giving you a great sound if you are looking for less volume.
Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

GTB Mufflers = Bullitt Mufflers (deeper/quieter)
GTA Mufflers = Shelby GT Mufflers (raspier/louder)

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
I never understood a 5.0 guy comming into a 3v thread and telling every body how much a 3v sucks. I never will get it.

The Bullit mufflers or also called the GTA mufflers will go a long way to giving you a great sound if you are looking for less volume.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

it can be seen in a number of ways...

ejschmidt

forum member
Reaction score
To the untrained ear, I sound like a v8, but more importantly, a strong healthy and deep exhaust note.

Admitted, I definitely sound raspy as wot and often find myself yearning for a more subtle sound, and this, the implementation of GTAs.

I'll post a sound clip as soon as I install them. I am glad to hear that some of you like the way it sounds.

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
The best sounding muffler I had on the 4.0 and I tried quite a few was the Pypes mufflers. Not sure which model they were but they were perfect everywhere but part throttle low rpm load was unbearable with drone. If you dont have cats on the 4.0 you have to put resonators on. Less volume is more with the 4.0

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I have heard some badass v6's before. most of them were grand nationals LOL.

also, its not just the fact that its a v6 that will make it sound good or bad, you are hearing a lot when you hear an exhaust note.

short list of things that control your sound (besides the obvious exhaust parts):
cam
stroke/bore
exhaust port shape
tune
muffler placement (mainly referring to before or after axle)
muffler stagger (one muffler farther from the motor than the other)
weight/mass of material used for exhaust (notice how stock mufflers are a little heavy....)

this is why some v6's sound similar to v8's to the untrained ear, some v6's sound like they wanna be an indy car motor, and some v6's sound like you want to destroy that guys whole car.

there are a few 3.7 guys running around my town with full dog ass exhaust. yeah they make 300hp and all that.

For a little perspective I used to have a 88 T-bird with a 3.8. I wanted to go as fast as I could with zero money. because....well I had none. I made a dual exhaust for it out what I could find at the junk yard. I could not find a muffler that I thought would flow well AND fit under the car so I found 2 mufflers of the same type that would fit and cut them apart. removed some of the corrogated(right word?) pipes that looked restrictive and welded the mufflers back together. The result was surprising. The exhaust took on a tiny bit of drone at idol and driving speed, but it was just enough to make it sound cool and did not smash ear drums. at WOT several people thought I had a modded v8. Though I was not as fast as a modded v8 (back in the late 90's I would race a chevy 305 and win, also took down some newer camaro v6's at the time, but that was about it) the sound definantly made the car cooler to drive.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
My son has an 07 4.0. Still has cats and a single aftermarket muffler. It's welded on so I can't tell the brand on it. It's the best sounding 4.0 I've heard. It sounds better than my 3v or my newer 5.0 at idle. Still has a great tone in the higher rpms. He never went duals because it sounds that good.

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
My son has an 07 4.0. Still has cats and a single aftermarket muffler. It's welded on so I can't tell the brand on it. It's the best sounding 4.0 I've heard. It sounds better than my 3v or my newer 5.0 at idle. Still has a great tone in the higher rpms. He never went duals because it sounds that good.

Not sure if you remember how good Tonys yellow car sounded and he was single as well. Those 4.0s were tough to get right.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
Yeah I remember his car in every stage lol. I love the sound of my sons car, everybody comments on how nice it sounds.

ejschmidt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that some people have had success with remaining single.

I had absolutely no luck with such. I went from bad to worse when I was playing around with the single muffler setup, so I went duals... then things got out of hand.

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
Plain old Gt mufflers willbreally tame it down and they are cheap.

JimC

Reaction score
My favorite set up on my 2006 was the XCharger, stock cats, into the Ford Racing X pipe and out a set of GTA mufflers.

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
The GTAs are louder then the GTBs which are the bullitt mufflers. My buddy did shorty headers, high flow cats and Borla touring and his V6 car sounds real nice.

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
V6's can sound good but they will sound different from a V8. A good sounding V6 probably sounds like a Nissan or a 2011+ 3.7 or similar motor, high revving, smooth roar.

The mustang's 4.0 can't really sound like a high tech v6 and it can't really sound like the v8 so its hard to really say.

ejschmidt

forum member
Reaction score
I look forward to finishing up this exhaust setup and strapping on the GTAs

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Okay, not a 4.0, not a Mustang and not even a V6 but this is about my favorite sounding six on the planet.

My dads Healey 3000, 3.0 inline six and no, it's not stock :) please excuse the shaky video, my son shot this when he was about 10 with our camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2lF2KIlL-o

The 2nd car to start up is a Unipower GT which is based on a Mk1 Mini drivetrain mounted in the back of the car.

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
OP, that second video sounds badass.

1. You can never make a V6 sound like a V8. It is just not a logical task either. I do think you can make a V6 sounds good though, they just need to have a low purring sound. Lots of people over shoot that goal and it sounds like a golf ball rattling in a tin can.

GTB Mufflers = Bullitt Mufflers (deeper/quieter)
GTA Mufflers = Shelby GT Mufflers (raspier/louder)

I have a NIB FRPP dual exhaust conversion for 4.0 v6 with GTB mufflers if any of you all are interested in getting the better sound

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back