Gen3 shifter for MT82 by Hallowe'en??

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
This comment is interesting, as I've been thinking of shifter throw in terms of a longer or shorter wrench.

I would expect that the longer throw of, for example the OEM shifter, would give the driver a leverage advantage and for the same pressure applied to the shifter ball a larger force would be applied to the internal bits of the transmission.

By shortening the throw it would now seem to give the driver a leverage disadvantage and therefore for the same pressure applied to the shifter ball, the applied forces internally to the transmission would be less?

Most cars I've added shortened throw shifters to end up requiring a bit more lever effort as a trade off, hence my long vs. short wrench leverage analogy. At some point making the throw overly short would possibly make the shift effort unacceptable.

What about the shorter shift throw increases stresses on the transmission? I've been thinking in reverse about shifter throw and taking some solace that I was not hurting my transmission. The engineer in me just wants to understand.

Thanks

The reason the shorter throw puts more stress is because you are making the shift faster and thus the synchros have to spool up faster and when they do not you grinnnnndddddddddd:tdown:

This is why the gt500 cars started having 2nd gear grind issues when ford came out with the svt perf. pack shifters which was basically the kr shifter. the throw front to back was too short. it really has nothing to do with the actual leverage or force. that doesnt matter so much as how fast you articulate the lever and try to make a shift.

George

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
The reason the shorter throw puts more stress is because you are making the shift faster and thus the synchros have to spool up faster and when they do not you grinnnnndddddddddd:tdown:

This is why the gt500 cars started having 2nd gear grind issues when ford came out with the svt perf. pack shifters which was basically the kr shifter. the throw front to back was too short. it really has nothing to do with the actual leverage or force. that doesnt matter so much as how fast you articulate the lever and try to make a shift.

George

Makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Any Race Spec shifters left? I'm gonna trade mine in for the newest version.

I do not believe but call sales at 706-793-1770...the many that were on the presale list have not called back and some have postponed for money issues./ We MAY have some but i doubt it.

George

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Here's how the MGW shifter came to me in 2 days after ordering without a single hassle AT ALL!!!!:

Notice the SUPERIOR workmanship and attention to detail in the shifter

And remember, MGW is offering a minimum of $200 buy back option for previous MGW shifter versions so that cuts the cost for this mechanical marvel to $299!!!!!

More pics:

The MGW is EXTREMELY rigid after fastened in place. ZERO movement from the shifter box.......laterally, horizonally, ZERO, ZIP, NOTTA! You could literally hang the whole weight of your body on this setup from underneath the car and it WILL NOT MOVE.

All buttoned up from underneath. Tip: when it comes time to put the shifter box in place and bolt it up to the linkages, access it' s position from INSIDE the car and drop it down through the hole in the floorboard. Don't even try to work it around the driveshaft and in place, just go inside the car and drop it down through the hole.

THIS setup seems like it's going to be the ABSOLUTE answer. I'm not adding anything to this setup at all. MGW RACE SPEC shifter and that's it. No bracket, no bushings, no nothing.

Almost done!! Getting that boot on is by far the WORST part of the whole project!!!!!!

This thing is SOLID!!!!!!!!!

SOLID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

OMG!!!!!!! MGW knocked it out of the park with this setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooth as butta in ALL gears!!!!!! You can't even hear the shifter going through the gears AT ALL it's so quiet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Absolute WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS GEORGE AND MGW!!!!

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
Well I'm praying that this is a solid fix. Really getting tired of the 1-2 crunch

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
George,
Opened my box and everything looks great but there's no instructions. Do you have a basic guide posted online somewhere?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
George,
Opened my box and everything looks great but there's no instructions. Do you have a basic guide posted online somewhere?

This should help

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thanks guys, got it installed this morning. I just got back from driving the car to dinner and I must say that George knocked it out of the fucking park with this one. I thought it was pretty good before with the earlier MGW shifter and the Blowfish bracket but I still had some mush when pushing the shifter up into 5th. Now it's just solid and precise.

I don't think many of us are capable of appreciating just how talented and committed George is when it comes to making our cars better. Every other aftermarket shifter company out there has simply thrown the same formula at the MT-82 as they have every other shifter for the last 40 years. They shorten up the throw and replace some bushings and that's about as far as they are willing to go. Not George, he has the tenacity to throw the entire assembly under the microscope and ended up redesigning virtually everything. I find it hilarious that the ONLY part he reused was the stupid little plastic bushing that snaps on the bottom of the shifter ball.

Many will balk at the price, but I think that's a short sighted view. I've owned this car for almost 6 months and my enthusiasm for driving it has almost disappeared. It's just not very fun compared to my Bullitt with the T56 Magnum. But now with this shifter I think it may spark some renewed enthusiasm for driving the car.

Thank you, George, for taking this farther than anyone else was willing to go. I appreciate your hard work and determination in seeing this through. And I LOVE the shifter!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I May have to get the new tr6060 one.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Thanks guys, got it installed this morning. I just got back from driving the car to dinner and I must say that George knocked it out of the fucking park with this one. I thought it was pretty good before with the earlier MGW shifter and the Blowfish bracket but I still had some mush when pushing the shifter up into 5th. Now it's just solid and precise.

I don't think many of us are capable of appreciating just how talented and committed George is when it comes to making our cars better. Every other aftermarket shifter company out there has simply thrown the same formula at the MT-82 as they have every other shifter for the last 40 years. They shorten up the throw and replace some bushings and that's about as far as they are willing to go. Not George, he has the tenacity to throw the entire assembly under the microscope and ended up redesigning virtually everything. I find it hilarious that the ONLY part he reused was the stupid little plastic bushing that snaps on the bottom of the shifter ball.

Many will balk at the price, but I think that's a short sighted view. I've owned this car for almost 6 months and my enthusiasm for driving it has almost disappeared. It's just not very fun compared to my Bullitt with the T56 Magnum. But now with this shifter I think it may spark some renewed enthusiasm for driving the car.

Thank you, George, for taking this farther than anyone else was willing to go. I appreciate your hard work and determination in seeing this through. And I LOVE the shifter!

Didn't you have some rattling in the shifter ball as well? Did that go away too? Appreciate you posting this up since Darren will never put his car through "Real World" scenarios... Glad to hear everything is good to go!

George, any thoughts about maybe offering a rip and replace discount to remove your competitors solutions????

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Didn't you have some rattling in the shifter ball as well? Did that go away too? Appreciate you posting this up since Darren will never put his car through "Real World" scenarios... Glad to hear everything is good to go!

I didn't have the shifter ball rattle but I did have the rear bracket rattling against the studs on turns. When I took the Blowfish bracket out I could see where it had been rubbing. The Blowfish bracket was a good idea but one of the negatives is increased vibration since you're basically putting the shifter on the end of a solidly mounted pole. Therefore any vibration is magnified by the time it gets to the shifter handle on the end of that pole. With the MGW you're still hoking the back of the shifter to a non vibrating attachment point via bushings so any vibration coming from the transmission is dampened instead of magnified. It's a much smoother solution.

Jefro

forum member
Reaction score
Just got on the list for the core exchange!! I can't wait to install mine. Mine was old enough that I had to purchase the gold bracket though

Last edited:

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
George, will there be any discounts available to people removing competing solutions to install yours? I ask as I recently purchased the Blowfish bracket and Steeda shifter... I obviously can resell both but no where near what I paid for them. Based on the reviews so far I want to go the MGW route but can't justify losing a lot of money on current items to purchase brand new hardware.... If you would rather discuss via PM I am fine with that. :hi:

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
George, will there be any discounts available to people removing competing solutions to install yours? I ask as I recently purchased the Blowfish bracket and Steeda shifter... I obviously can resell both but no where near what I paid for them. Based on the reviews so far I want to go the MGW route but can't justify losing a lot of money on current items to purchase brand new hardware.... If you would rather discuss via PM I am fine with that. :hi:

I cannot offer any discounts for any competing solutions. I am losing money on the non race spec core i am offering and be sure this will only be for a limited time. I am only doing it because if you really track or push the car hard and our gen 1 shifter doesnt perform fully then i hold some responsibility in that regard and i like to take care of my loyal customers so they do not feel cheated with this superior design.

Those that chose to spend their money on my competitors products that fail to perform ... well that will rest on them not me.

I have kept my mouth shut and stayed out of a lot of threads across the internet about how the blowfish bracket is a better solution by the guys at cj ponys parts because obviously they want to move them but the MGW solution is way better from an engineering standpoint...the thing i find most confusing is that blowfish is offering a fix for their brackets that rattle and have NVH with a 50 dollar upgrade that includes RUBBER ISOLATORS in the rear mount... I cannot figure out how that is NOT a total conflict of design ...the bracket is mounted firmly to the trans and their claim is that it makes a solid rigid mount to the shifter which is true, but when they change it to mount the rear with rubber donuts then it kind of defeats the whole concept :headscratch:

George

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back