MGW shifter?

Pipes

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here and this is my first post on this forum. I installed a Hurst shifter on my 2006 GT and I'm really not very happy with it. It's functional but the shifts are kind of clunky and noisy. Not really smooth at all. I'm looking to replace it with the MGW. My question is what is the difference between the $270 shifter and the Flat Stick shifter? They look the same to me except for the shift levers.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MGW is the best made unit out. I had one on my 06gt and it was awesome. Do some searching and you'll see

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Mgw is the best. Best money I've spent on my car. I had a roush and missed gears all the time. Got my mgw and haven't missed one since. It is worth everypenny.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
To answer your question the flat stick is just a different style. I was fortunate enough to see them when they were still in development. George was still trying to line up someone to make the custom shift boots to fit it. Not sure how that was resolved but the mechanics of both shifters should be identical.

You won't find a better made product or better customer service than the folks at MGW. Super nice people who truly love their jobs and are a pleasure to deal with.

Pipes

Reaction score
To answer your question the flat stick is just a different style. I was fortunate enough to see them when they were still in development. George was still trying to line up someone to make the custom shift boots to fit it. Not sure how that was resolved but the mechanics of both shifters should be identical.

You won't find a better made product or better customer service than the folks at MGW. Super nice people who truly love their jobs and are a pleasure to deal with.
Thanks for the replies! My car is in winter storage right now so this won't be done until the summer. So if I understand this then right now there isn't a shift boot to fit it?

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
I did tons of searching for opinions on the MGW when I had my '08, only to have some idiot blindside me and total it. Flatstick MGW is what I settled on.

I'm considering a Hurst for my '11 GT after driving a friend of mine who had one installed in his Boss and it's the only flatstick for '11-'14 cars. :okay2:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! My car is in winter storage right now so this won't be done until the summer. So if I understand this then right now there isn't a shift boot to fit it?

That was almost 2 years ago, before they were made available. I'm unfamiliar with what the solution was but there is obviously a solution. What does the MGW website say about it?

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
the flat stick comes with an oval grommet that goes into the poem boot and mates with the flat stick very very well.

the only difference is cosmetic as the lower parts are identical.

George

Pipes

Reaction score
I did tons of searching for opinions on the MGW when I had my '08, only to have some idiot blindside me and total it. Flatstick MGW is what I settled on.

I'm considering a Hurst for my '11 GT after driving a friend of mine who had one installed in his Boss and it's the only flatstick for '11-'14 cars. :okay2:
Then the only advantage of having MGW's Flat stick over their standard shifter is aesthetics since apparently the mechanics of both shifters are the same. Functionality is my main concern. I'll definitely give up some shortness for smoothness. For my kind of driving my downshifts are just as important as my up shifts. Anyhow I'll probably be jacking the care up again this spring and pull out the Hurst and replace it with the MGW. The Hurst is kind of clunky and loud.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You will really like the adjustable throw on the MGW. Most seem to settle on about 5-6 turns out (10 turns of adjustability).

As far as noise, the biggest issue there is getting the inner boot back into place correctly. You may lose some skin off your knuckles but once it's in place the noise is about like stock. The extra Dynamat provided also helps even more.

Pipes

Reaction score
You will really like the adjustable throw on the MGW. Most seem to settle on about 5-6 turns out (10 turns of adjustability).

As far as noise, the biggest issue there is getting the inner boot back into place correctly. You may lose some skin off your knuckles but once it's in place the noise is about like stock. The extra Dynamat provided also helps even more.
I appreciate all the replies-Thanks! The noise I'm referring to with the Hurst I'm sure comes from the big poly bushings they use. Just makes for a noisy shift. I had a Hurst shifter in my 66 GTO and loved it and I liked the looks of it. That's the main reason I put one in my Mustang. That's whats drawing me to the MGW-no big poly bushings and the good reviews that I see. Thanks everyone

Pipes

Reaction score
the flat stick comes with an oval grommet that goes into the poem boot and mates with the flat stick very very well.

the only difference is cosmetic as the lower parts are identical.

George
Thanks George. I'm sure there's a MGW in my future. Since I'm after smooth shifts I think I'll try setting it at about 3 turns out and see how it goes

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks George. I'm sure there's a MGW in my future. Since I'm after smooth shifts I think I'll try setting it at about 3 turns out and see how it goes

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

George

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Can't decide, Help

I know this is old, but wife is looking for a gift for me this christmas and I think this is what I want. But can't choose between the flat stick or standard. I've read they are same except for the stick itself. 2006 gt by the way. It really comes down to the look I'd say in the car. Anyone have pictures of each in car and is the feel any different in the hand different between the both? Also any deals for this christmas? Oh and are you able to buy say the flat stick handle itself and swap between both?

Thanks!

Last edited:

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
I know this is old, but wife is looking for a gift for me this christmas and I think this is what I want. But can't choose between the flat stick or standard. I've read they are same except for the stick itself. 2006 gt by the way. It really comes down to the look I'd say in the car. Anyone have pictures of each in car and is the feel any different in the hand different between the both? Also any deals for this christmas? Oh and are you able to buy say the flat stick handle itself and swap between both?

Thanks!

Like my flat stick

3f2ebd036e4caabb8debd49f05b7fb08.jpg

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
MGW is to Filet Mignon as Brand B is to Cube Steak. Buy MGW once, pay the extra money, and install once, or buy Brand B, be unhappy afterward, and then spend even more money for the MGW and do two installs and one uninstall.

Well worth the price, well worth the wait.

Last edited:

Coosawjack

forum member
Reaction score
MGW is to Filet Mignon as Brand B is to Cube Steak. Buy MGW once, pay the extra money, and install once, or buy Brand B, be unhappy afterward, and then spend even more money for the MGW and do two installs and one uninstall.

Well worth the price, well worth the wait.

^^^TRUTH SPOKEN HERE!!^^^:thumb:

BTW.....THANKS FOR MINE George!!!:hail:

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the kind words!!!!

:beerchug2::beerchug2::beerchug2::beerchug2:

George

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back