Boosting a 4.0

sheldon_94

Reaction score
Anyone that has built a turbo set up for a 4.0, i could use some guidance. I Dont know where to begin, I have done alot of research and i figure that a rear mount setup is going to be the most budget friendly boost i can get. Any tips or things to expect would be great! I would love to start ordering parts asap!

Thanks!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

46addict

Reaction score
Powerhouse used to make turn-key kits for the 4.0 but it seems they've moved on to the S550 world. Rear mount may be budget friendly but doesn't make much sense to me performance wise. Rear mounts are for people who have no room for a turbo under the hood or for trucks trying to balance weight distribution. You want the turbo to sit as close as possible to the engine to reduce spool time.

A Google search turned up more centrifugal supercharger kits than turbos, and a Vortech kit is something you can install in your driveway without dealing with hot side piping that comes with turbos. If you have the extra time and can weld pipes together, you could piece together a turbo kit yourself. But if it were me I would get a turn key centrifugal kit and not look back. There's got to be used kits out there for 4.0s to save you some money.

sheldon_94

Reaction score
Im new to the boost. Is centrifugal still ran off a pulley? And i have searched every site and cant find a turbo mani for the 4.0. A procharger isnt going to put me around my goal of 400 rwhp its gonna put me at 275rwhp from what ive seen on the forums and youtube. Would it be stupid to run a wet shot system? Im exploring all options

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
CentrI is just a belt driven turbo basically

JimC

Reaction score
Im new to the boost. Is centrifugal still ran off a pulley? And i have searched every site and cant find a turbo mani for the 4.0. A procharger isnt going to put me around my goal of 400 rwhp its gonna put me at 275rwhp from what ive seen on the forums and youtube. Would it be stupid to run a wet shot system? Im exploring all options

The 4.0 does NOT play well with dual power adders. Everyone who tried turbo or supercharger with a shot of nitrous blew up.

As Lidio from Alternative Auto said, "it will work.........for awhile".

The centrifugal supercharger will make more than 275 RWHP. My 2006 with the Xcharger was making more than that, so not sure where you got that information. There are several guys at the Mustang Collective running centrifugal near or over 400 RWHP.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

46addict

Reaction score
The 4.0 does NOT play well with dual power adders. Everyone who tried turbo or supercharger with a shot of nitrous blew up.

As Lidio from Alternative Auto said, "it will work.........for awhile".

That's nothing that a good rotating assembly can't fix. :gr_grin:
If the 4.0 aftermarket is anything like the 4.6, he could build one monster of a v6.

JimC

Reaction score
That's nothing that a good rotating assembly can't fix. :gr_grin:
If the 4.0 aftermarket is anything like the 4.6, he could build one monster of a v6.
People tried it. Forged lower, upgraded pistons, and results were still a nice window in the block. No one has found a combination that works more than a few passes.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

joeymustang

forum member
Reaction score
I had an 05 with a single turbo built out of those universal T4 ebay kits. It was a fun car and did really well, had I think it was like 345whp and 390wtq at 9 psi. Should have kept it but I moved out of state and needed the money.
429423_10150570991782481_403511416_n.jpg

Dad

forum member
Reaction score

46addict

Reaction score
I'm sure you're going to want bigger injectors and a fuel pump. It looks like the kit comes with a 255lph so that is covered.

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity I browsed my local Craigslist and found a handful of T-bird supercoupes. Each cost less than this kit. I am sure a yard would sell just the supercharger for less than a grand. If you bought a running car, you could then sell the thing after you take the supercharger off and recoup some of your funds. This is not that bad of an idea. And now I want one.

46addict

Reaction score
I'm not sure if a Roush M90 would bolt up to the Xcharger manifold, but that is another cheap option if it works. There are 4.6 3v guys dumping their M90s to go bigger, and they are not worth much by themselves. People joke about turning them into mailboxes because they're virtually worthless.

0BlackBeauty5

Reaction score
I had an 05 with a single turbo built out of those universal T4 ebay kits. It was a fun car and did really well, had I think it was like 345whp and 390wtq at 9 psi. Should have kept it but I moved out of state and needed the money.
429423_10150570991782481_403511416_n.jpg
Do you have more pictures of this car abd the piping routed im piecing together my own kit and need all the reference turbo 4.0s i can find

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back