5r55s issues

5.SLOW

Reaction score
ok I don't know how to really explain this but I try and not sound like a total dumbass.

ok my car is a 07 auto car that when full throttle it don't shift fast it kind of slips into gear. cruising it shifts fine and everything.

it a like it a half a sec to shift and blogs down and then shifts, so my question is the trans going out or something messing up and simple fix,

did filter change and same had little metal inside pan but not much.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I'm thinking worn clutch bands from the symptoms you described. That is pretty much a rebuild or swap. I bet the 2nd to 3rd shift is the worst as those are usually the first to go out. These units are pretty weak. They're great when they are working properly but there is a lot of shit going on inside, a lot of weak points. The parts you can fit in there can only be so big and stout.

Anyways your best bet is probably a local shop. Read up on what some of these companies do to help strengthen the performance of the 5R55S and decide which mods are going to suit your needs. Level 10 has some really good explanations on what they do to the valve body/solenoid pack, servo bores and what not. Though I might shy away from actually buying one from this company as I didn't have much luck with theirs as they don't use the kolene steel bands. I would highly recommend the Alto Red or Blue bands for any rebuild.

5.SLOW

Reaction score
cool thanks my big issue is 1 to 2 it really bad but the rest is following lol.

5.SLOW

Reaction score
ok I seen on another thread a guy switching over to 4r70 what parts I need to do this?

07 Boss

Reaction score
ok I seen on another thread a guy switching over to 4r70 what parts I need to do this?

Stand alone tranny controller to start. I'm sure there are some other little things but the controller is the big missing piece.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can set up a 4R70 for automatic or manual shifting. Automatic shifting does not absolutely require a stand alone controller. I would check into swapping to another trans, rather then spending money on the 5R55S in your car. There are several possibilities, the 4R70, 6R80, TH400, or 4L80E, to name a few. Any of them have far superior power handling capability than the 5R55S.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ok I don't know how to really explain this but I try and not sound like a total dumbass.

ok my car is a 07 auto car that when full throttle it don't shift fast it kind of slips into gear. cruising it shifts fine and everything.

it a like it a half a sec to shift and blogs down and then shifts, so my question is the trans going out or something messing up and simple fix,

did filter change and same had little metal inside pan but not much.

You can set up a 4R70 for automatic or manual shifting. Automatic shifting does not absolutely require a stand alone controller. I would check into swapping to another trans, rather then spending money on the 5R55S in your car. There are several possibilities, the 4R70, 6R80, TH400, or 4L80E, to name a few. Any of them have far superior power handling capability than the 5R55S.

OP,

As Earl just said if you are going to do this one time.
Get rid of the 5R55s and go to anyone of the much-much Stronger transmissions he mentioned.

The bottom-line is if you are going to run the crap out of your Mustang the 5R55s will simply not hold-up.

Nor will the aftermarket 5R55s transmissions by like TCI as an example.
They work okay for driving on the street but if you start taking them to the drag-strip your screwed.
Especially if you install any of the Drag-Radials for traction !!!

Good-Luck ............

5.SLOW

Reaction score
yeah I notice at the track on drag radials and spraying 150 shot out of the whole the trans feels like the gears are notch feeling when taking off. I probable do the 4r70 more likely over winter.

just looking for a parts list and brand to look for to convert it over. but sounds like a manual valve body be better option maybe.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back