CAI and tuner

Seattle06Roush

Reaction score
Bought a Roush CAI for my 06 Roush S1, when I got it I hadn't bought a tuner yet. When installing intake there was a cone that went inside tube at the MAF. The directions said it is 'offroad use only' 'not CARB compliant' if that cone isn't used in the intake. Me being me I left it out, car ran like hell, reinstalled the cone, runs fine. Roush advertises this intake as 'no tune needed'. I am assuming that with a canned tune on premium gas I can remove that cone? I have a predator now with canned tunes, just haven't messed with it yet. Guessing that cone allows way to much flow for a non tuned computer and stock maf?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Right. That insert keeps the maf housing size the same as factory so you wont need a tune. With it removed you will need a tune but I wouldnt get a canned tune. Lito is the go to guy for 3v's.

Seattle06Roush

Reaction score
Right. That insert keeps the maf housing size the same as factory so you wont need a tune. With it removed you will need a tune but I wouldnt get a canned tune. Lito is the go to guy for 3v's.
So the canned CAI and premium gas tune won't be safe to use for a little bit till I can get a custom one? I am planning on cams in the spring so it'll need a tune then also.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
So the canned CAI and premium gas tune won't be safe to use for a little bit till I can get a custom one? I am planning on cams in the spring so it'll need a tune then also.

Im sure it would be fine but I wouldnt run one of those tunes. Especially when you can get a reputable tuner to tune your stang now and get a revision, most of the time for free or a small fee, when you install cams.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

Leave the insert in for now... till you get ur cams installed. Then remove the insert, and get Lito to tune it...once.

07 Boss

Reaction score
If you have a canned tune for an Airaid intake you can use that. I had a predator with canned tunes and that is the same tune I ran with my CAI. If you have an automatic I think there was even a firm shift Airaid tune. I used to have the Airaid. The Roush and the Airaid are the same intake with different labeling. The no tune part is that venturi tube. It is the same diameter of the stock tube. The MAF takes a sample or cross section of the air flowing through it and the computer figures out the air in the tube based on its diameter. When you make the tube bigger without telling the computer it doesn't calculate for the bigger diameter and the extra air.

If you have canned tunes the Airaid tune will be perfect. If you don't have that one you can probably use one with a similar size tube. The Roush/Airaid intake is 101 mm without the "cone." But I wouldn't get crazy until I had a proper tune in there.

Seattle06Roush

Reaction score
If you have a canned tune for an Airaid intake you can use that. I had a predator with canned tunes and that is the same tune I ran with my CAI. If you have an automatic I think there was even a firm shift Airaid tune. I used to have the Airaid. The Roush and the Airaid are the same intake with different labeling. The no tune part is that venturi tube. It is the same diameter of the stock tube. The MAF takes a sample or cross section of the air flowing through it and the computer figures out the air in the tube based on its diameter. When you make the tube bigger without telling the computer it doesn't calculate for the bigger diameter and the extra air.

If you have canned tunes the Airaid tune will be perfect. If you don't have that one you can probably use one with a similar size tube. The Roush/Airaid intake is 101 mm without the "cone." But I wouldn't get crazy until I had a proper tune in there.
Thanks. Kinda what I figured but its been several years since I have had a mustang and wasn't sure.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
as per facebook
After 2 new moons you need to make fire with balsa wood. Throw 4 figs, a barracuda and one eye of newt on fire. Wait for the bat. Or just email him. That's easier I think.

[email protected]

Honestly i like the first option, tune is safer and more power...ha

Seattle06Roush

Reaction score
Thanks. Kinda what I figured but its been several years since I have had a mustang and wasn't sure.

Well. I got a tuner used from someone. He says he turned car back to stock and put the stock tune back in it. I tried to load the Roush cai tune, no go, tried the diablo 92 octane tune, no go. Every single tune on it says the same thing. The car is unlicensed to tune. So even with a custom tune this tuner is locked out apparently. Is there a possibility that my car has a tune in it from a previous owner? The person I got it from was second owner and he did not tune or have a tuner for it.

46addict

Reaction score
I know Diablos have different tuners 05-06 cars and 07-10 cars. For your 06 you need the u7140. If it's a u7145 it won't work regardless of license status. If you have a u7140 and getting those errors, I'm afraid the PO didn't unlock/unmarry the device properly which is unfortunate. If you want I have an SCT X3 for sale with 5 unlocks left. Let me know if you're interested.

Seattle06Roush

Reaction score
I know Diablos have different tuners 05-06 cars and 07-10 cars. For your 06 you need the u7140. If it's a u7145 it won't work regardless of license status. If you have a u7140 and getting those errors, I'm afraid the PO didn't unlock/unmarry the device properly which is unfortunate. If you want I have an SCT X3 for sale with 5 unlocks left. Let me know if you're interested.
Mine is an 06 and it was used on an 06.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Well. I got a tuner used from someone. He says he turned car back to stock and put the stock tune back in it. I tried to load the Roush cai tune, no go, tried the diablo 92 octane tune, no go. Every single tune on it says the same thing. The car is unlicensed to tune. So even with a custom tune this tuner is locked out apparently. Is there a possibility that my car has a tune in it from a previous owner? The person I got it from was second owner and he did not tune or have a tuner for it.

It's unfortunate but I see it more common these days among car/truck owners who buy used vehicles with aftermarket parts. Why anyone wouldn't include the tuner with a tuned vehicle is ridiculous. Most handhelds are $300, $600 if you spring for something like a Livewire TS. Easily negotiated into the cost of the vehicle when sold privately or even traded to a dealer.

It would be easy enough to just take the vehicle to your nearest Ford dealer and ask them to plug into it and tell you if it's tuned. If you speak with a manager, I'm sure you could negotiate a smaller fee than the standard diagnostics fee. You'll need to work with a dealer anyway if it is tuned and you don't have the original device, only a dealer and some high end tuners can re-flash an ECU back to OEM. To have a tuner do it will likely cost you more, not to mention removal of the ECU, shipping it to the tuner, and shipping it back. Here in Vegas it's not an uncommon occurrence to see Mustang/F150 owners in at the dealerships for reflash, I've had a few friends of mine in the same spot. Ended up costing them $200-300, and then another $300 for a handheld, and another $300 for a dyno tune. Don't quote me on dealer pricing though, every dealer is its own clan of thieves. I wouldn't bad mouth dealers so much, if they actually passed a better chunk of that money to their workers (the people who actually contribute to the company's success).

Take it with a grain of salt, won't be the last chunk of change you drop on a car to make it what you want. I've always thought of car enthusiasts like pyromaniac's. We love to watch our money burn, LOL.

46addict

Reaction score
The past two modded/tuned vehicles I bought used came with tuners married to the car but I can see someone forgetting to leave it in the car when they go to trade it in at a dealer.

And we don't like burning money. We just like converting them into car parts.

Attachments

• car parts.jpg
    car parts.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 48

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's more like;

b3d87e1d89cb1534081d431fc1bdef9f--subaru-meme-subaru-wrx.jpg

Seattle06Roush

Reaction score
The past two modded/tuned vehicles I bought used came with tuners married to the car but I can see someone forgetting to leave it in the car when they go to trade it in at a dealer.

And we don't like burning money. We just like converting them into car parts.
After the previous owner of the tuner called diablo. Turns out its locked. They are going to unlock it for free. It wasnt supposed to lock but it did and they are taking care of it.

stv_huff

Stock
Reaction score
After the previous owner of the tuner called diablo. Turns out its locked. They are going to unlock it for free. It wasnt supposed to lock but it did and they are taking care of it.

Score!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back