B53 shortblock vs others

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks 55 not, that's what I needed and I appreciate you taking the time.
That's the first I've heard about needing a crank damper.How important is it, as it's pricey?
Would a forged crank accomplish the same thing?
I'm not questioning your advice, just looking for clarification.

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks 55 not, that's what I needed and I appreciate you taking the time.
That's the first I've heard about needing a crank damper.How important is it, as it's pricey?
Would a forged crank accomplish the same thing?
I'm not questioning your advice, just looking for clarification.

The crank “damper” is often referred to as the crank pulley. It’s cheap insurance for a build. Roughly $400 last I checked for an innovators West or ATI (2 is the top rated dampers out there)

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
55 not had an either or option on choice of main bolt kit and head changing kit and there's quite a price difference in each case.
Are the less expensive alternatives not kosher for up to 550 whp?

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
55 not had an either or option on choice of main bolt kit and head changing kit and there's quite a price difference in each case.
Are the less expensive alternatives not kosher for up to 550 whp?
I ran ARP studs all around on my set up. But I believe BruceH ran stock replacement TTY bolts with no issues. And he made it up to high 600's I think.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Not to put too fine a point on this, but those Wiesco pistons are listed as 6cc dish rather than 6.5
I assume that's ok?

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Not to put too fine a point on this, but those Wiesco pistons are listed as 6cc dish rather than 6.5
I assume that's ok?

Running the numbers thru a compression ratio calculator show there's only a .05 difference in C/R between a 6cc and 6.5cc dish piston.
You shouldn't have any issues with detonation on pump gas using a -6cc piston .

For reference I was running 520rwhp on my stock bottom rotating assembly for over a year on BP93 pump gas with my TVS setup.. If you're going to use a stock cast crank and keep it under 600hp then the TTY bolts should be fine,

A big reason for using an aftermarket crank damper, even on a forged crank, is to reduce the weight on the crank snout, the cast OE damper weighs 10.5lbs IIRC, aftermarket are 7-ish .. that'll help take some stress off the crank if you're running a tight belt for belt slip,, you can get an aftermarket damper with 8-grooves and run a wider belt to help belt slip.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Go with a wider belt and less tension. Tight belts kill main bearings. I saw that on my first big bore. Second time around I ran an 8 rib, right sized belt, and a Thump tensioner. I had no belt slip and my main bearings were fine when I pulled it apart.

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
Anybody know if a 8 rib crank damper will work on the Paxton 6 rib setup? I’d like to get an over drive crank pulley for my setup before I do the entire 8 rib conversion.

Also would running an overdrive pulley be bad for the other accessories

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Anybody know if a 8 rib crank damper will work on the Paxton 6 rib setup? I’d like to get an over drive crank pulley for my setup before I do the entire 8 rib conversion.

Also would running an overdrive pulley be bad for the other accessories
You can run an 8 rib pulley with a 6 rib belt. I've done it before. I ran a 12% overdrive crank pulley and stock everything else and didn't have any issues.

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
You can run an 8 rib pulley with a 6 rib belt. I've done it before. I ran a 12% overdrive crank pulley and stock everything else and didn't have any issues.

Than you. That’s what I needed to know! Just wanted to make sure everything cleared and that I’m not stuck with a 6 rib O/D pulley once I upgrade to the 8 rib setup

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back