Best setup for turbo

TzReddy

forum member
Reaction score
Looking at what best harmonic balancer is for turbo setup. Also should I do under drive pulleyes?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Best is relative to opinion. The real question is, how high are you going to rev? If within 6500rpm, there's nothing wrong with stock. An underdriven pulley *may* rev unnoticeably quicker, a dyno may or may not read it. If you were NA, I'd say UDP's might give you a seat of the pants improvement. But a Turbo, if anything may even hurt your spool time in 1st/2nd gear. IMO, it's a no from me on UDP's.

If you're going to spend most of your time in high rpm, my recommendation goes for a ATI Super Damper, OE diameter. I run it for my procharger setup, best money I ever spent.

TzReddy

forum member
Reaction score
Well it's fully built motor and going for big numbers 800+ is the goal. I don't plan on ever Reving over 7k

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Well it's fully built motor and going for big numbers 800+ is the goal. I don't plan on ever Reving over 7k

The importance of a good crank damper pulley is all about harmonics. OEM dampers don't get enough credit, they are very well balanced and maintain that balance for a long, long time without needing replacement. Even ATI recommends their balancers be rebalanced every few years (under race application, the tech I talked to said my balancer would probably out-live the car in my application).

For the kind of money involved in the build you're talking about, then yes, either ATI or IW damper would be cheap insurance for your build. I do prefer ATI's construction method over the IW, but to each their own in preference.

46addict

Reaction score
If you're going to spend most of your time in high rpm, my recommendation goes for a ATI Super Damper, OE diameter. I run it for my procharger setup, best money I ever spent.

Help me visualize this. The Procharger setups come with a piggyback crank pulley to run a dedicated blower belt. Do the Super Dampers have provisions for a piggyback Procharger pulley to go on? Or can you get one with a second set of ribs built in with a larger diameter for a second belt?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Help me visualize this. The Procharger setups come with a piggyback crank pulley to run a dedicated blower belt. Do the Super Dampers have provisions for a piggyback Procharger pulley to go on? Or can you get one with a second set of ribs built in with a larger diameter for a second belt?

ATI makes a super charger drive pulley that sits flush on the super damper. The damper has 3 threaded bolt holes that match this pulley, regardless if you go OE size, Under Size, or Over size. This setup is much better than the piggyback pulley that comes with the blower kit, IMO. It is an entirely different pulley than what comes with the procharger kit though. So if you order a super damper, you want to order the proper blower drive pulley with it.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Someone should make a pulley for the roush extended snout blowers, would beat that factory spider system. Just more cantilevered load on the crank.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back